ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power to amp problems

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Hi guys, I've had a sub in my car now for a few months and for some reason it doesn't seem to always get power despite being wired in correctly.

This isn't the first sub i have had (albeit in different cars), and I've never had a problem like it. I was wandering if it was something to do with the fact the battery was quite small or something. I drive a 1.2 Clio and even at low volumes i am having problems with the amp flickering in and out of life.

The sub and amp are booth Mutant, i bought them brand new from Halfords. The amp is a little 450 single channel, and the sub a 1000w peak. My head unit is a Sendai cheapo thing, it is a little knackered but appears to be alright.

Anyone have a suggestions. I'm not too keen on the idea of a power cap. Thanks guys

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Have you sanded the area first? Remote wire may also be loose? Have you used A connection block for it?

Yea the remote cable has been connected with bullet connectors into the head unit.
I have sanded down the area for the ground cable, but used the original bolt (which is painted black, could this be an issue)

Clio 182
shouldnt be an issue as long as ring is touching unpainted metal, what power you pulling at amp? live/remote?

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
shouldnt be an issue as long as ring is touching unpainted metal, what power you pulling at amp? live/remote?

How do you mean. The live is fed straight from the battery as I know no other way. The amp is front the remote cable in head unit loom. The amp itself is a 450w I think

Clio 182
pop a multimeter on live/remote and check your getting 12v @ each - if so then its an earthing issue. personally I just sanded down part of the boot floor - drilled hole, bolted then siliconed from underside for earth.

It can only be either it's not getting enough power, of the earth isn't right. If these are all fine then its an amp issue

megane 285 sport
i would say its the overload on the amp kicking in and out at certain bass levels. you might want to check the maximum ohm output on the channel on the amp (4ohm or 2ohm) and check the ohms on the sub. i had two subs 4 ohms a piece paralleled (which make its 2 Ohm) off a bridge channel which had a maximum of 4 ohms (2 ohm being more powerful) and my sub kept kicking in and out when its was trying to draw too much power.