ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powerflex…is this normal?

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
5FC68FE4-8105-4A03-9F56-334AEE7D7EE5.jpeg

Not easy to see but there is a clear gap between the bush and the arb. The bushes are less than a year old and due to Covid have covered less than a thousand miles. The clamps are also new and the car is jacked up if that makes any difference. Any input appreciated.
Cheers

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not seen it before. It almost looks like they've melted at the top.
They're a pain to do, so gutted for you.
What kind of grease did you use on them?

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Not seen it before. It almost looks like they've melted at the top.
They're a pain to do, so gutted for you.
What kind of grease did you use on them?
I didn’t do them, I’m well aware it’s a nightmare so wouldn’t attempt on the drive. They come with their own grease as you know so he used that??

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Probably wrong sized bushings but regardless they'd need to be changed, not the best of jobs if you don't have a ramp

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I remember seeing a thread in which the powerflex bushing had to be cut down as the bushing itself was too big for mount.

Looking at your image, the left side had too much material and he had to cut it down

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I had to cut mine down to fit them, but I trimmed the outer side down by a couple of mm (At least), and it was still a very tight fit. Not a job i'd want to do again any time soon, along with the powerflex power steering rack bushes.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
This is what mine look like after a year:
Yeah I thought it should look like that. Thanks for that. Looks like I’ll have to get my third set in 4 years.
Would the wear on mine cause knocking (quite loud) going over potholes and speed bumps? There’s still a good amount of material around the arb so would that be enough to prevent a metallic knock?
Cheers

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Get a pry bar on it. If you can move it easily then it might cause a knock. If it's solid then you will have to keep looking.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
If I can’t resolve the problem that’s exactly what I’ll be doing although now I’ve put the car on the floor the bushes look how they should so who knows. The search continues.
Thanks for all the replies.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I had to google that to make sure you wasn’t taking the piss! I’ve not seen anything like that locally but I’ll keep an eye out.
Cheers

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When i first got my clio i spent ages trying to track down a clunk. I spent ages under the car with a pry bar trying to work out what was loose. The rack bushes, track rod ends, top mounts and engine mounts were all worn, but the major clunk was from the wishbone. I couldn't feel any movement under the car, but i could hear it clearly from the shaker.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
When i first got my clio i spent ages trying to track down a clunk. I spent ages under the car with a pry bar trying to work out what was loose. The rack bushes, track rod ends, top mounts and engine mounts were all worn, but the major clunk was from the wishbone. I couldn't feel any movement under the car, but i could hear it clearly from the shaker.
Sounds like a good piece of kid. Hopefully some local testers have one. Just out interest, was your knock from the ball joint or the inner wishbone bushes?
Cheers

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The front wishbone bush. I couldn't feel any movement, but once it was off the car it was obvious it was shot. Replacements cured the issue completely.
The knock was only pulling away and coming to a stop, there were no rattles when driving around so i had convinced myself it was an engine mount or exhaust issue.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough mate. I’ve just had those done so I’m down to ball joints or top mounts. I’ll get to the bottom of it.
Cheers