ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

prefer 190 0r 185 tyres on a williams

OK i know the brand of tyre i want to fit to my williams .......(mich exalto pe2)

one last question is :-

i currently have x4 190/50 r15 tyres, should i go back to the standard 185/55 r15, they are more expensive but are they worth the money ?

as i understand it, the 190s have a wider footprint and so more grip ? the stadard size is a slightly taller tyre - this would be of no benefit ?

has anyone had both on their williams - and can tell any difference ?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Never heard of 190s - sure theyre not 195s?

Most people will tell you to go standard size and most of all the brand that come on the car orig. Renault did a lot of testing to make it handle etc etc etc.

Personally go for what you want, tyres have moved on since the Willy was designed 11 years ago.

(waits for the scalding)

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

If you want some new exalto 2s pal...check my post in the for sale section.

Ive just bought a full set of exalto 2s in a 185 55 R15 for £80 each and the next day for a mate a set of 195 55 R15 exalto for £48 each.

I currently run a 195 but im reverting back to the original 185 in the summer when get my wheels refurbed.

Never driven a car back to back on the differant sizes to check....

Id go for OE spec, but a newer tyre than whatever the originals are. As Matt pointed out, Renault have put those tyres on for a reason.

-Rob

Been discussed heaps of time and it comes down to personal preference if people were being honest. The 185s will have more feel/feedback as there will be less sidewall give compared to the 195s - maybe this is where most of the handling will be ruined arguements come from but its not that noticable as ive had both. However, the 195s will grip better (obviously) and are also about half the price.

I personally run 195s and wouldnt swap back...i like knowing that the car will be a bit more welded to the road as i wouldnt be confident enough to play with the car if it started to slip....

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 20 October 2004

I personally run 195s and wouldnt swap back...i like knowing that the car will be a bit more welded to the road as i wouldnt be confident enough to play with the car if it started to slip....
Thats half the fun! hehe

Go and find some big, empty, wet roundabouts ;)

195 are cheaper as are a more common size,more common the cheaper can get em!! there is a very slight speedo difference cuz of change of profile

i run both on my williams, have set of each, cant fault either, only real difference imo is the 195/50s is a little bit more bumpier on same surfaces but has better grip on smooth roads, the 185/55s seem better for back roads having abit more play-ability in them

tyres in question are goodyear eagle f1 in 185/55/15 £50 a corner

and continental contact sport in 195/50/15 £30 a corner

[Edited by richy on 20 October 2004 at 6:58pm]

williams and trophy

aye id go for 195s too..depending on the make tho lol......stay away from pirellis......in this size the hard sidewal of these tyres make the car tramline like fuk.........the michy exaltos..old uns .i have on the front now are 195s......dont suffer from any tramlining hardly......the 185s give a lot more but most of the feel of the car is down to personal preference

Willy, Willy 2, V6

195/50/15 front - pirelli p6000s
195/50/15 rear - cheap bloody crap that always slides out in the wet, i can corner better in my RT in the wet! gotta get those sorted.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Well ive currently got Bridgestone Potenzas SO3s on mine at the min....carnt fault them.

But flamingmonkey is our man to comment on the 185 exalto 2s.....hes had a set on for a month now...My set are a temporary table in my room...lol