ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Prepping for winter...

Golf GTI PP Mk7
I calen my car, religiously every sunday morning right now, but as winter approaches that cud tail off a tad so i need to get set for winter. Should i polish, EGP and then give maybe 2 coats of wax? how long does egp seal the paint for? what with all the muck, water and grime at get thrown at the car over winter, i need to make sure the paint is ok.

any ideas??

106 GTi
I would be looking at getting a good few coats of sealant on the car ready, 3 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss over the next few weeks would not be a bad idea. If you then top the EGP with a wax when you get the chance and keep doing this over the winter period when you get the chance the layered EGP should get you through till spring.

A durable wax is also advisable for the winter month, look into Megs #16 or one of the Collinites. If you can get a coat of one of these on every few weeks after a wash during the winter months you should be fine.

Also look intro a spray wax/sealant such as Optimum Car Wax this is ideal for using after a wash during the winter months to top up protection.

al said:
I'll PM him, you we're my first port of detailing call lol ;)
Hi al
I would say that you should get 4 - 6 months of protection with it but it also depends on what you do regards washing etc,using a godd carnauba based shampoo will add to the durability of waxes and sealants
Cheers

al

ST on the way...
R9DCG said:
Hi al
I would say that you should get 4 - 6 months of protection with it but it also depends on what you do regards washing etc,using a godd carnauba based shampoo will add to the durability of waxes and sealants
Cheers

Bet me too it! lol

I'm using the Exreme Body Wash N Wax full time now.

p.s. I'll get the photos over tonight :)

final abode said:
hi david, wats a good carnauba based shampoo to use
The CG extreme body washnwax is the one to try ,i do it in 16oz and 32oz sizes,full of wxes and will keep the protection up through the winter

I have a next door neighbourgh who spends all day saturday , literally from 8am to 7pm cleaning his car. he also cleans it during the week. i cannot help feeling some people take washing their cars too far?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
R9DCG said:
The CG extreme body washnwax is the one to try ,i do it in 16oz and 32oz sizes,full of wxes and will keep the protection up through the winter
hummm - sounds like a shout.

have 3 layers of m seal and carnuba on

looking lush

:D

Formally Alex C
Ads_172 said:
I've heard good things about Collinite, not such a great shine but unbeatable durability.

You'll get a very good shine from the Collinites. They give quite a reflective shine compared to a deep glossy shine..... The durability (and fab beading) make up for that though :).