ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Price Rises Confirmed

Mentioned this a while back, but it's now about to happen...

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ike_prices_as_pound_plummets_news_274636.html

So Nikon prices up from Jan 12th, Canon about now, and Sony to follow.

Not sure what that really means though, D90s, for example, have bottomed out at £550-£570 against an RRP of about £690 at the moment, so I'm assuming that retailers who significantly undercut will just rise their lower prices by the same percentage as the increase in RRPs.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
this is going to effect other electronics like plasma's and tv's too.

For example for a selection of Canon SLRs the listed SRP on the Canon website have increased as follows:

40D - SRP up from £730 to £850 (and the £60 cash back offer runs out on the 12th)
50D - SRP up from £1200 to £1250
5D2 - SRP up from £2300 to £2450
1D3 - SRP up from £3050 to £4000

Ouch.......whilst these are SRPs, we can no doubt expect retailers to increase prices since they will be paying more for stock.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
this seems a little wierd to me that they would be increasing their prices especially in a financial time where consumer spending is down, what is stopping people (if you had the money) buying 40 x canon 1d mk3 now and selling them for £3500 - making £450 a camera and passing on a £500 saving to the customer

dk

911 GTS Cab
this seems a little wierd to me that they would be increasing their prices especially in a financial time where consumer spending is down, what is stopping people (if you had the money) buying 40 x canon 1d mk3 now and selling them for £3500 - making £450 a camera and passing on a £500 saving to the customer
probably a lack of stock at the old price, if you read the rgb link, as soon as the price increases were announced they stopped suppliers making bulk orders at the lower price so that couldn't cash in, i'm sure the resellers will do the same.

most manufacturers are doing this at the mo so its only going to be more common, MS and Hp keep putting their prices up each month because of the dollar and vmware are doing the same.

For example for a selection of Canon SLRs the listed SRP on the Canon website have increased as follows:

40D - SRP up from £730 to £850 (and the £60 cash back offer runs out on the 12th)
50D - SRP up from £1200 to £1250
5D2 - SRP up from £2300 to £2450
1D3 - SRP up from £3050 to £4000

Ouch.......whilst these are SRPs, we can no doubt expect retailers to increase prices since they will be paying more for stock.

How about the 1Ds Mk3, gone up by nearly £2k!

Most expensive stuff is hard to get hold of at the moment (such as long fast Nikon primes), I assume stock has been distributed at a low level for a month or two so retailers can't stockpile and absorb the increases for a while.

SLK 350
Shortage of components, and glass will also be affecting manufacturers, with loads of component makers shutting down lines to reduce their operating losses with the recession I guess this is the price we pay.

I imagine this sort of issue is going to cause many marginal companies to fold over the coming months.

Warehouse Express have raised all of their Nikon prices now, so expect the rest to follow.

It's really not pretty, some fairly nasty price hikes.

D90 back up to £640 body only (what I paid several months ago, it dropped well into the £500s recently), Nikon D3 up by about £300, 400 2.8 up by nearly a grand!

Canon also raised prices again today, some of their products are now 40-50% more expensive than they were before Christmas.

When will it end?!

Canon 1DS Mk3 £6000 >> £8600
Canon 50D £1200 >> £1320
Canon 1D3 £3050 >> £4450

Monster rises! Lenses are pretty much at the same levels as well.

It's pretty scary reviewing the lens prices on Camera Price Buster.... Just checked the Sigma 30mm price which I picked up a couple of weeks ago from Bristol cameras....got it for £269.....it's now £395.....only about a 45% increase!

Admittedly you can still pick it up at £269 from Jessops & Jacobs, although I bet that is old stock and their prices will soon rocket too. Amazon have got it up for £330ish.

No more camera equipment for a while....