ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

private registration

clio rxe
Hi im selling my car privately tomorrow and it has a private reg i want to keep. how do i go about keeping it and giving the car the original reg for the deal? I know i need to go to dvla local office with relevant info, but once i do that will they assign the car a new reg there and then and what happens with the v5?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
ive just put a private plate on mine, it was sorted there and then but ill be getting sent a new v5, so im guessing you might have to change the plate and send on the v5 to the new owner once you get it?

or possibly it could all be done in one go if you fill in the new owners details when you take it to the DVLA office to get it changed, not sure if that was much help, sorry

Chocolate Bar™
left it a bit late to be honest. You need to put your private plate into retention for 12 months which costs 80 quid (if i remember rightly). When you have done this, the original plate can be put on the car. When u wanna put your private plate on your new car its a further 25 quid to take it out of retention. This will take weeks, so you'll have to try and get down to a DVLA centre tomorrow to get it sorted there and then as you need to send off the old V5 to put the plate into retention. I waited over 3 weeks for the V5 of my old car back, so ended up sellin the car without the V5 and writing a receipt in case the new owner gets caught speeding etc, and then sending the new V5 when it arrives. Depends if the new owner is happy with this arrangement or not however

Chocolate Bar™
nah prob more like about 2 months. You need to wait for your current plate to be officially put into retention, and get the forms back, and then send off the docs to put the private plate on the new car. If you can get down to one of the DVLA centres, for example chester/swansea/coventry etc, they will put the plate on your new car there and then, and you'll be able to fit it straight away

clio rxe
how is it when you trade a car in then that they can have the new car with the privat reg on waiting for you when you go to collect the new car? I'm going to office in glasgow tomorrow to put it into retention, but hope to get a new car next week

GR7

Shiny red R32
I have had a personal plate since 1992 and have swapped it around loads of times and often posted the instructions on here when people ask what to do, so why doesn't somebody type up the details for buying/changing/retaining personal plates and store it somewhere so that people can quickly refer to it as it comes up more often than Weeman and Babbage does on here!!! ;)

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Go into your nearest VLO with the V5 and tax disc & MOT for the donor vehicle (the car you are selling) fill in form V778/1 pay the fee £125 and thats it. You will get a retention certificatein the post about a week later

They will give you a new tax disc, MOT and a form to have the number plates made up.

When you get your new car, go back with the V5, retention slip and the tax disc and MOT (if reqd) and they reverse the process. Nothing more to pay.

I should have added the reg number allocated originally to the vehicle, will be the one re-assigned.

clio rxe
what about the donor car's v5 tho, how do i pass that on to the new keeper if i have to send it away?

Chocolate Bar™
^ u dont, as i said you dont have a V5 so you have to write some sort of agreement stating time and day the car was collected and get them to sign it. Best to make the effort to go to the DVLA centre

106 GTi
I have had a personal plate since 1992 and have swapped it around loads of times and often posted the instructions on here when people ask what to do, so why doesn't somebody type up the details for buying/changing/retaining personal plates and store it somewhere so that people can quickly refer to it as it comes up more often than Weeman and Babbage does on here!!! ;)

All the info needed is on the DVLA site! easier to send people -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/B...sArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022576&chk=w0kUgB

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
what about the donor car's v5 tho, how do i pass that on to the new keeper if i have to send it away?

You dont, just explain that you are retaining the number and the V5 will be sent on. Photocopy it for him.
If the new owner is cooperative, get him to sign the V5 and you can advise change of ownership when you do the transfer.
Its a well known process, I have done it dozens of times. Provided there are no problems with the vehicle (like outstanding tickets or insurance write off markers)