ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private sale - issue

EP3 Civic Type R

hi guys!

Just wanted to ask peoples advice on a situation that has really caused me some bother... just over 3 months ago I sold my 1997 106gti with 70k on the clock for 2500 (i bought it 9 months earlier for 4200) loosing quite a bit I know, but needed to be done. The person who bought the car a woman in her 40s viewed the car as it was getting some work done on the inlet manifold, I had been told this was causing it to cut out and reluctant to rev (since i changed plugs and head gasket had been done, this seemed fine).

Anyways to cut a long story short, ive had about half a dozen fone calls from her at various intervals over the last 3 months sayins she is having problems... ive offered her suggestions, and even recommended she take the car back to where i origionally bought it from to see if anything could be done on warrantry, this was the last phone call made about 1 month ago.

I now return from a 3 week holiday and find a nasty message on my voicemail demanding her money back, this obviously is totally out of the question, but I would like some general advice as I do not want her coming to my home where now another 106gti (same colour etc) is on my driveway, this would make me look like I sold it without good faith and she may try and pull one on me, never privately sold a car before so im not sure how I stand.

any help apreciated! btw I did get her to sign a sold as seen contract, but I was stupid enuff to leave it in the car which she bought... dumb I know !!

Not a Clio

private sale. no warrenty. shes got no come back.

Whats she going to do, call you in a years time if something goes wrong and demand you sort it?

From the RAC website for buyers buying privately:

Your rights
The seller must not mis-describe or misrepresent the vehicle - to this end if the car is described as having had just "one previous owner" and this should turn out not to be the case then the car has failed to conform to its description and a claim for compensation or rejection might follow. As above the description must have been made prior to the sale and must have been a factor in deciding to buy the car.

As you can see the usual rights that you expect from a dealer are not applicable and there is usually little that can be done about a car that has developed a defect after sale unless the sale was prompted by a mis-description.

172 Cup

Simple. Tell her to stop bothering you or you will take the matter further.

If you sold it privately (obviously with no warranty) she has no right to hassle you.

don't

ahh, so u have no documentation at all for the sale??

u can just tell her she signed 2 say it was sold as seen and u do have a copy of it, she hasnt got a leg 2 stand on , especially after all that time!!

does she live near u then or what??

a woman in her 40s, she aint guna do much is she, if shes being threatening ring the police, she bought the car, she signed sold as seen, its her own fault

ignore her or tell her u will go 2 the police if she continues 2 harass u

Not a Clio

tell her you did not supply the car with a warrenty, she had the opportunity to inspect it, she decided it was worth handing the money over for, shes the owner, its her car, her problem. If she continous to harrass you, you will go to the police.

EP3 Civic Type R

Like i said... she signed up I left both copys of it in her car.. no doubt she would deny signing anything... she sent the v5 off like 3 months ago though, and I gave her a phone number of the dealer I bought it from to get warranty work done on it !! its at a point where im changing my mobile number.... like I said... if her and her husband come to my house, I would not be impressed at all !, police is the next step

don't

nxt time she rings tell her uve been boning her daughter

theres nothing she can do, she doesnt have warranty or any comeback, only thing they can do is harass and threaten u

1 more thing mate and warn her that u will go 2 the police 4 harrassment if u ever hear from her again

EP3 Civic Type R

aye cheers lads... just needed to talk to it with someone as ive not told anyone, feel a bit better about it !