ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Privelege or dynamique (2003/04/005)?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a nice clio older shape, so upto 2005. Must be 5 door
I think I prefer 1.4 engine: 1.6 is a tiny bit more thirstier, but I suspect that 1.4 might be a tad nippier around town, more fun to drive (correct me if I'm wrong, please)

It really is very hard to find good nick dynamique 1.4 on the market. However, there are quite a few "privileges". I always get the impression that "privvy" is a more luxurios version of the dynamique, and less fun to drive. Is this true?

It also has traction control and stuff: does this mean acceleration and handling are reduced? And can this traction control and stuff be disabled so as to enable the car to drive like a dynamique?

in summary : dynamique or privvy? 1.4 or 1.6?

Thanks guys.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Privilege's are shite.

Crap wheels, god awful interior and just reeks of old man.

Dynamique, billabong, extreme1/2/3... Anything is better than the Privilege.

Privilege's are s**te.

Crap wheels, god awful interior and just reeks of old man.

Dynamique, billabong, extreme1/2/3... Anything is better than the Privilege.

Thanks - I thought the wheels were the same?
Forgetting about the god-awful interior, is it as quick as dynamique?

Really I'd like to get hold of a pretty decent 1.4, clio. 5 door, 2003,2004 or 2005. Expression, I hear, is to be avoided.

Discounted 1*2 parts
I'd choose a DCI over a petrol any day. The DCI 100 will be quicker than a 1.6 and do double the MPG.

I'd choose a dynamique spec with the auto wiper/lights a/c electric windows/mirrors etc

A 2004 Clio Initiale would be my choice, all the luxuries, is a 1.6 engine though.

Blast! Just as I ruled out the Expression and the Privelige, and decided that the Dynamique was the one, up pops the Initiale.
So looking at Parkers as a guide, I see that Initiale only comes as a 1.6, as you mentioned; however, is it more like the privelige (as described by Daniel a couple of posts up?) or is it as fun and exciting as a 1.4/1.6 Dynamique?

I should have mentioned that I'm not too bothered about the luxuries per se - I'm interested in a fun car to drive.

also, 110bhp , insurance group 19 (according to parkers); 1.4 dynamique has Insurance Grp 11 - still high but not as bad.

I'd choose a DCI over a petrol any day. The DCI 100 will be quicker than a 1.6 and do double the MPG.

I'd choose a dynamique spec with the auto wiper/lights a/c electric windows/mirrors etc

Saw one on autotrader actually, but 4 grand is too much - was hoping for 3 grand maximo.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id be going DCi too.

i dont understand why you think the 1.4 will be more fun and a tad nippier than the 1.6 16v??

we have a 1.6 16v and i love to drive it only problem is how much it drinks fuel, its worse than my 2.0 16v!! i had a mate who had a 1.4 16v and it was pretty much the same as the 1.6 on fuel while being slower, good bit less torque and much the same to insure! id do some insurance quotes first rather than just rulling out the 1.6 16v over the 1.4.

imo the above is why the 1.4 is even rarer than the 1.6 16v!

initiales are awesome however the interior is a bit marmite, i like it but others hate it, the dynamique interior is spot on!

dont worry about any that have the ESP traction control option it doesnt affect the way the car drives and can be disabled if you want to (maby for driving in snow or what ever)

but as i said above id be going DCi power, when my dci 100 was standard it was on par with the 1.6 16v in speed (slower than the 1.6 in first to 3rd gear, quicker in the rest), it done 60mpg compaired to the 1.6 doing 35mpg, it had £30 road tax compaired to the 1.6 16v £180 or what ever it was

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
id be going DCi too.

i dont understand why you think the 1.4 will be more fun and a tad nippier than the 1.6 16v??

we have a 1.6 16v and i love to drive it only problem is how much it drinks fuel, its worse than my 2.0 16v!! i had a mate who had a 1.4 16v and it was pretty much the same as the 1.6 on fuel while being slower, good bit less torque and much the same to insure! id do some insurance quotes first rather than just rulling out the 1.6 16v over the 1.4.

imo the above is why the 1.4 is even rarer than the 1.6 16v!

initiales are awesome however the interior is a bit marmite, i like it but others hate it, the dynamique interior is spot on!

dont worry about any that have the ESP traction control option it doesnt affect the way the car drives and can be disabled if you want to (maby for driving in snow or what ever)

but as i said above id be going DCi power, when my dci 100 was standard it was on par with the 1.6 16v in speed (slower than the 1.6 in first to 3rd gear, quicker in the rest), it done 60mpg compaired to the 1.6 doing 35mpg, it had £30 road tax compaired to the 1.6 16v £180 or what ever it was

I disagree with that, the 1.4 and 1.6 are basically the same engine, I got 35mpg easy out of the 1.4 and it was nippyer than the two 1.6's I drove (however mine was modified). 1.4 was cheaper to isure, tax and only 10bhp down, i miss it :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yes its basically the same engine but running a longer stroke. when your running as little torque as small engine petrols do then you need all you can get, it may only have 12hp more but the extra 15lb/ft or what ever it has makes all the difference.

again fuel consumption is fairly similar on them, the 1.4 is going to be slightly better but not that much better to make it worth buying!

as i said it all comes down to insurance, if its not much less as i found when i was looking at them at 17 then id be going for the 1.6, however that was 6yrs ago now, things might have changed.

:D ok guys, I finally managed to buy a renault clio 1.4 dynamique 2004 (metallic blue) and I have to say, its a cracker. The missus is really pleased, its a great run-around.
So big time thanks for all your help. See you around in these forums.