ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pro-Speed - Review - 182 De-cat

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Saturday 26th June 8am

I left House (in Buckinghamshire) and started the trek over to Cardiff. Made it to the town in about 2.5 hours which was a result. However, my multimap.com instructions were very very gay :mad: and I got very lost.

Luckily, the living legend that is Charlie from Pro-Speed actually came out looking for me !!! he spent 30 mins travelling around Cardiff until we finally managed to get into the same car park (Macdonalds)

Finally got to the workshop at about 12:30 and work began. Firstly I was taken to look at the underside of my car where Charlie explained exactly what he would be doing, and how it would all work. I then went back to the very clean and comfy waiting room (got leather sofas and everything) knowing that my car was in good hands.

Work was completed promptly and it looked excellent. My old cat was bagged up with original clips and flanges welded on so it can go back on if needed (not if I have anything to do with it)

Both the Lambda sensors were fitted back into the system after the de-cat, and I have had no issues what so ever with fuelling/emission lights on dash (driven 500 miles since)

Exhaust note is slightly louder than it was with a nice rasp. Engine seems to respond quicker and pull that little bit harder.

Overall I am very happy with the work done AND I am going back in the next few weeks to have the first install of Pro-Speeds 182 free-flow system installed.

If anyone was thinking about getting a de-cat on their 182 and had been worried about the lambda sensors (like me) .... you know where to go .... http://www.pro-speed.bizwww.pro-speed.biz
mailto:info@pro-speed.biz">info@pro-speed.biz
029 2046 1444

Will report back when the freeflow system has been fitted. :)
10out of 10 so far though !!!

Regards,

Ross

P.S .... dont let my leasing company know about this eh ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Nice one. i wont be doing it but im sure others will.

Ps: The cat is huge isnt it!

Burgandy 174 sport t

Thats great news about the de cat mate un fortunatly mine ran for 3k before any warning lights came on and Im pretty sure the same will happen to others!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 29 June 2004

Ps: The cat is huge isnt it!

yup!! well if its the same as a 172 cat!!
Its not. its much bigger.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

I had my light on the by the time I got home from the Renault dealer on day 1 !!!!

Service manager said it wont affect the car running (unlike the first probe that can cause limp mode) and that it would go off after a day or two, which it did. :)

Did your light come on after a bit of a rev with a cold engine ?

Putting a sports cat on a modern car can be one of the quickest gains possible, particularly if coupled with efficient breathing and exhaust components.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea what sort of power gains have been made by this mod alone?

How would the original cat be re-fitted; is it a weld job? If so, what are the implications on the 182? I ask cos i had this same mod on my old car (Ibiza) and it was real ball ache when trying to get the original cat put back on (failed MOT by +0.9% on emmissions!!), as they had to cut the after market cat out and re-weld the original back in, which then made the exhaust centre section too short. Expensive..

What exactly is the free flow product that you refer to?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

One of the specific things done to the 182 to give it "182" was the adoption of a free flowing cat.

Which he has binned.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 29 June 2004

One of the specific things done to the 182 to give it "182" was the adoption of a free flowing cat.

Which he has binned.
As free flowing as a clear pipe ? no, He showed me inside the cat and it looked pretty restrictive to me.

the Cat "is in the bag" .... in my loft.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by AndyG on 29 June 2004

Putting a sports cat on a modern car can be one of the quickest gains possible, particularly if coupled with efficient breathing and exhaust components.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea what sort of power gains have been made by this mod alone?

How would the original cat be re-fitted; is it a weld job? If so, what are the implications on the 182? I ask cos i had this same mod on my old car (Ibiza) and it was real ball ache when trying to get the original cat put back on (failed MOT by +0.9% on emmissions!!), as they had to cut the after market cat out and re-weld the original back in, which then made the exhaust centre section too short. Expensive..

What exactly is the free flow product that you refer to?
4 bolts to change back to the cat ..... simple as that.

Dont now about specific power gains, I can only go on feel for now.

Will let you know more about the next phase when I know more myself.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 29 June 2004

Thanks for the help.....
Sorry mate, I did a deal so my price wouldnt be your price. He is very reasonable though.

Lee

BMW M2C

It would be great if you could get it on a RR with just the decat, then the full system.

Id be interested to hear what the gains are, as a full decat and decent exhaust on a 172 gave very impressive power gains.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 29 June 2004

I didnt say it wasnt restrictive.
ok then .... oh and about the size. Doesnt look very big to me compared to the pics on k-techs site (their sports cat next to 172 cat) but then I cant say I have seen many on past cars.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 29 June 2004

It would be great if you could get it on a RR with just the decat, then the full system.

Id be interested to here what the gains are, as a full decat and decent exhaust on a 172 gave very impressive power gains.
Yeah, would GDI be the best place to go ? I am also interested in one of these SMT6 boxes they install. Just need to get the money together ... or there is always the credit card ;)

Quote: Originally posted by rmccardal on 29 June 2004

Did your light come on after a bit of a rev with a cold engine ?

That is because the secondary lambda is to check emissions on coldstarts, its not used for any running aspects of the car.