ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with battery light flashing

Hi all , I have a problem with my ph2 172 where the battery light starts off flashing every now and then eventually ( around 30 minutes of driving )most, if not all my dashboard warning lights glow then eventually the car misfires then cuts out with a dead battery. If I rev it up it will sometimes put the lights out on the dash and all the electrics start working again..

It done this on the night I bought the car after driving 80 miles of 100 miles home.

I bought a brand new alternator and fitted it and that seemed to cure the problem until I had my cambelt and aux belt kit fitted.

Really puzzled about this. I took all the front end off to get to the alternator again to check connections and belt tension and all seemed fine. When i put I it back together I had the multimeter on the battery for 45 minutes with it ticking over with everything on in the car and it was charging perfectly

Some things I've tried : earth lead from battery to engine hook with no change in battery when ticking over.

I've tried playing around the exciter cable but nothing...

Is it possible it's the battery, that's all I think it can be in my head. It's driving me nuts

Any other ideas or anyone been in the same situation would be greatly appreciated as I'm now officially puzzled.

Thanks in advance, Ben.

Membership well spent if anyone is interested I'm getting a replacement alternator to hopefully cure the problem..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Membership well spent  if anyone is interested I'm getting a replacement alternator to hopefully cure the problem..

But the first post says you've got a new one already? If that's faulty then get the supplier to replace it? How have you pin pointed it to the alternator if a multimeter is showing that it's charging etc?

Maybe it's time to get a mech/garage to look at it instead of blindly throwing money at it?

But the first post says you've got a new one already? If that's faulty then get the supplier to replace it? How have you pin pointed it to the alternator if a multimeter is showing that it's charging etc?

Maybe it's time to get a mech/garage to look at it instead of blindly throwing money at it?

Certainly not throwing money at it , I put it down to the alternator being faulty following a few tests with my multimeter and had a auto electrician look at it this morning and he agreed. Getting a free replacement tomorrow afternoon so will soon find out.

The alternator is showing it's charging in certain situations ie just idling with no lights , heaters ect on when ticking over. It will sit at around 13.7 which is around normal but as soon as any load is put into it it drops right off gradually until it cuts out. It can be driven for a little bit of time but the battery light flickers under acceleration.

I'll soon see tomorrow , hopefully it fixes it as it's doing my tits in.

Boom replacement alternator ( free of charge) and its fixed. Just if you were genuinely interested...