ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problem with brakes

clio172
ive got a clio phase one 172 and i have noticed on hard braking the brake pedal vibrates and my brakes fail. had to pull my handbrake up to stop. does anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

RS mk2 172
This sounds like warped discs and should be replaced along with the pads, unless the ABS is triggering whereby you will feel the pedal pulsing and a warning light illuminating on the dash.
This could also be caused by excessive play within the front suspension bushes/joints.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
also check wheel bearings. if excessively warn they cause the disc to push the pad back giveing you no brakes the frist time you touch the pedal

clio172
its only on harsh braking if im driving slower and brake they are fine but when going downhill and having to apply more pressure to the brakes this is when the problem starts

RS mk2 172
nope have reparied meany cars with excessive worn wheel bearing s causeing to pedel togo the first time you go to press the brake.

If the wheel bearing was worn to the point that the piston within the caliper was pushed back then the vehicle would drive as though it was on three wheels and pedal vibration would be the least of your worries.

Lots of Alfas
Sounds like a abs problem or possibly just the fact the abs is working and your not realising the road is slippy?? I dont think warped discs would cause them to fail. Those that mentioned wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing is really bad it can mess with the alignment of the abs ring and the abs sensor.