ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problem with handling on 182

Arctic blue 182 (05)
Recently my 05 182 doesnt feel totally in control. under acceleration or pulling up at a junction/lights the steering wheel seems to have a life of its own and pull either way quite strong. any ideas? the front shocks are brand new also.

Arctic blue 182 (05)
yeah had it aligned after new shocks went on unless they used the wrong values. ive got the printout still is there anywhere i can check these against? pressures are spot on with brand new exaltos all round. would worn ball joints cause this?

Golf GTD Mk7
hope its not the steering rack mate. Quite pricey from what i've heard. you sure you're not just getting a bit overly excited with the accelerator? ;)

Nippy white cup
Thats spooky. I was going to post a question about this. Nics 182 has recently gone 'floaty'. The steering wheel gets pulled in all directions as with yours and any change in camber at a decent speed makes it feel like it is sliding about...

Chris

Mine is same. Also at speed 70-90 going round slight bends i.e. on a DC it feels unstable.

I've eliminated top mounts - there is play but no more than there was in my cup. No play in the rack or track rods. Ball joints seem OK, although I need to double check them. Which leaves the wish bone bushes. I haven't figured out how to check those yet. Oh and I need to get the tracking done as well.

Nippy white cup
We had some new tyres and had the tracking done but it was still s**t. There was a road near us that we had to use that was gradually getting rougher to the point that you couldn't steer around the 3" deep holes.....this has probably damaged something to cause the symptoms

Chris

Arctic blue 182 (05)
In response to getting a bit happy with the right foot. That's what I initially thought it could be and the car justfollowing the camber of the road.
But it seems to happen when coming to a slow and graduale stop, say like when arriving at a red light doing 5-10 mph, the car seems to start pulling to the side causing me to over correct until eventually stopping. However it doesn't do this everytime. Maybe 50% of the time.
Was hoping it's a common thing to prevent further head scratching.

54 plate, Arctic Blue 182
tie rods possibly if its under accerlartion, or loose suspension components!, lower arms, etc

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds similar to my car...........it's as if the car lifts slightly around 70mph, feels uinstable going round corners, randomly pulls to the side and feels a bit ropey under braking.

Keep us posted with your findings!

Arctic blue 182 (05)
Yeah I will keep you informed when I pin down exactly what the problem is.
Slightly reassuring that it's not just me who's been having troubles.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
I put my car in to Renault as I was having these problems...............surprise surprise that they couldn't fault it but said my tyre pressures were all wrong. What a cop out as the car only feels marginally better than it did!

BMW 535D
I'm having the same problem at the moment. My steering feels like there's a bit of play in it and I've no confidence in the car when pressing hard.

Read an alarming thread on here about a month ago from a guy who was having the same problem and his steering column / rack UV joint failed!

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
When I was in my car last night, I was sitting at a set of traffic lights and moved my steering wheel from left to right (numerous times) and heard a clicking noise.

Is this normal?

Oil Burner
I have a similar issue with my dynamique, possibly not relevant. But this gets better once the tyres are worn in 1k or so. It was especially bad when i had all 4 done. The rears seem particularly prone to it. Makes the car tram line awfully. Also get torque steer when pulling away, but this remains, altho the combination of this and the bad tram lining make it interesting at times. And this is only with 80hp, imagine its 10x worse in a sport.

My Car has this clunk when stationary and turning the wheel side to side, but all joints are good.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped my car off at Renault this morning for them to investigate:

* clicking coming from behind the steering wheel
* front wheels slipping when full lock is on when car is beginning to move
* drivers side xenon as bright as full beam

They better uncover something this time round as the problems aren't in my head..........

The slipping on full lock is normal isn't it? due to the width of the tyres and the turning circle?

Clio 182FF
Mines floaty under heavy breaking and when giving it the beans too. I suspect my shocks or springs are fooked.

Black Gold Trophy
Dropped my car off at Renault this morning for them to investigate:

* clicking coming from behind the steering wheel
* front wheels slipping when full lock is on when car is beginning to move
* drivers side xenon as bright as full beam

They better uncover something this time round as the problems aren't in my head..........

* the clicking is normal, the cowling around the steering column is not a perfect fit and occasionally catches on the wheel.

*the front wheels slipping is normal, as said above it is due to the turning circle and big tyres.

* the drivers side xenon most likely just needs adjusting, they can be adjusted with a 6mm allen key, park facing a garage and adjust to the desired level.

there you go, I probably just saved you about £600

My car was V twitchy when the back shockers were fucked. Changed them and it was fine. Some times the steering wheel does seem to have a mind of its own.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Got car back last night around 5pm. Renault:

* couldn't fault the steering
* couldn't fault the front wheels slipping
* have lowered the drivers side xenon and raised the passenger side xenon

No cost to me as I purchased an additional 2 year warranty with the car.

The tyre skip is definitely normal on all sports AFAIK. IMO it's to do with compromised steering angle geometry on full lock. As lock increases, the ideal geo sees the inside wheel turning a tighter radius than the outside (the natural turning arc). My guess has always been that this geo is compromised by some design restriction. The result being that because both tyres are not following their exact trurning radius, one or both of them has to skip along it's tread to compensate.

ive got all the same probs. ive droped it 45mm and it was fine for a year or so. and now its got a mind of its own the hole time ur just fighting with the car 2 keep it where u want it. its very light over 50 and pulls all over the place and braking not much better. im at a lost it killing me

new coilovers
4 new tyres pe2's
tracking and camber set

+ last week took it 2 to diffrent rens and they can feel it the prob but they havent got a clue wot it is.

any help very welcome. ta

Nippy white cup
We would be very interested in finding out as Nics is just like this and it's bog standard....very 'floaty' and just doesn't feel safe at all

Chris

330i. E30 Touring.
Wheel bearings all ok? No play?

When my back ones were fooked, the back felt really skittish.

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
what's the tread like on your tyres, as i nearly crashed into a car i was overtaking. i was fighting the steering wheel, changed the tyres even though they had 3mm left and its 90% better

Titanium 182
There is a hill near my house that I sometimes "Blat" it up.
Anyway, whilst doing this the car wandered ever so slightly side to side with the wheel held in the same position.
It only happens under extreme acceleration though and starts about 60mph+

Is that normal ?

Car is a standard cup packed 182.

200 FF Storm Grey
Mine pulls to the right quite strongly for a second or so until I control it when im giving it proper beans through the low gears, think its nothing more than torque steer

But I do worry about how light it feels round corners and speeds, bit like it's semi-aqua plaining sometimes (even though the roads is dry)

330i. E30 Touring.
I think the 'lightness' is just a characteristic of the cars.

When I swapped my front shocks, it felt 10x more planted though.. Might be worth a shot..