ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with locking car! Pretty urgent

Clio II
Hi everyone,

My name's pavel and I'm somewhat new to the Clio community. My friend in Wales has a Clio 2 (1998) that he let me have for free, so I picked it up and drove it home. However, there's some serious problems with it which I need to address URGENTLY.

Basically, the car doesn't lock. He let it sit for about 6 months and when he tried to, the rear doors were stuck. They lock/unlock with central locking, but even when "unlocked" they still dont open with the handle (inside or out).

However, that I can deal with. The main problem is that I can't lock the car. The remote for the central locking didn't work, so I looked inside and fair enough it had no batteries. So I got two CR2016 batteries and put them in. The red light comes on when I push the button now, but the car still doesnt lock/unlock. I tried to get in it and hold the interior central locking button for 5-10 seconds until it "reset" which it did, but when I pointed the remote at the black thing by the light/mirror, it stil ldidn't work.

So the remote seems to be working in that the red light flashes on it, but it doesn't lock or unlock the car.

it wouldn't be so bad if I could mechanically lock it, but when I exit the car from the only unlocked door and try to lock it from outside mechanically, the key just feels really stiff and then does a full turn in the barrel, without the pin going down (without the door locking), no matter which way or how much I turn the key in the barrel.

Could someone suggest the cheapest way for me to be able to lock the car. I don't even mind if I have to lock it mechanically instead of remotely, I just want to be able to lock my car at night.

Incidentally, the car runs perfectly, starts with the key in ignition without any problems (so presumably the immobiliser is bypassed or disabled?). The key locks/unlocks the boot fine, but both the passenger and drivers doors it cannot lock or unlock (it just turns in the key barrel). There are also no blinking lights from either the central locking button inside the car or the dashboard (I don't know if there should be to show the immobiliser is armed?)

Finally I thought I'd say that the dashboard light cluster doesn't work, the trip odometer (not the overall odometer) resets itself each time ignition is switched off, and the dome light by the remote receiver thing doesn't work. this car was messed around with by my neighbours nephew so its possible that some electrical systems were touched which is why I thought I'd let you know about the systems that aren't working in case they maybe share a fuse with the central locking receiver?

Still would like to know why the key just turns in the barrel without actually locking the car.

Sorry if this is a bit overwhelming, I just tried to provide as much information as possible to get a constructive response! looking forward to enjoying my Clio ownershiP! :)

Pavel

P.S. The car is a 1998 Clio Grande 1.2i 5 door.

www.renparts.co.uk
cheapest way would be a central locking kit off eBay, just fit it to the drivers door and it works off a seperate fob. is it a older shape 1998?

Clio II
It's a Clio II (with the triangular 98-2005 like lights on the back). I've ordered a cheapo ebay alarm which I'll just interface straight to the wires on the central locking button in the car so it locks/unlocks all the doors through the separate key fob.

But any ideas as to how I can make the doors lock/unlock manually?

www.renparts.co.uk
I can sell you a lockset for it, if the lock is physically jammed then thats the only option unless you try lubricating them.

Clio II
But the key turns in it (i.e. it turns all the way around it, 360 degrees) with varying degrees of stiffness throughout the rotation. It just has no effect on the actual lock. and its the same way with both the passenger and the drivers lock, except the passenger lock the key slot is horizontal ( - as opposed to | ) when the key is inserted/removed.

Thanks

Clio II
Will take a look at the mechanical locks in a couple of days, but just thought I'd let everyone know the problem with the central locking was the fuse. It's the 20 Amp fuse which is on the radio/dome light/clock circuit which was blown. Once I put a new fuse in there, the car locked from central locking perfectly and immobiliser armed! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone

Pavel