ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with My Cup - All take note!

My Cup gave up the ghost on Friday morning in the freezing cold, having waited 10 mins for the car to de-ice naturally I set about my business when I noticed a distinct lack of power like non! Well I thought it was me as I was crawling along, any way after a few mins of this the lights flashed on and the car was shaking its self to bits!!! So I duelly pulled over and called the AA who said they could by 2hrs, so I crawled beack to reno and asked them to have a look ay my baby!

The resulting problem was the coil and the leads coming from the coil, basically my ht leads had some how becomed severed and therefore the spark wasnt being intesified to the spark plugs! hence no power! A quick fix by reno and the offending wire re-routed (the said leads / wires are under the manifold according to reno) and the car runs like a dream!

Has anyone else had this problem as I guess it must be a design fault as I have had my cup for over a year now and this problem has only just happended which I find v.strange! So a word of advice check your leads!

n.b Reno Sheff excelled themselves in fixing my car in under 4 hrs! Well done for a change Reno!

Lee

BMW M2C

My boss had the same with his Megane a while back. Two of his coil packs cracked. I had to drive it to the dealer. It was like driving a kangaroo.

They no longer have HT leads, instead they have a coil pack and a normal lead to them. VAG had loads of trouble with this on the 1.8 Turbo unit in the Beetle, TT, etc, etc.

The original mk2 172 ignition coils have a known fault - i had this problem and forced renault to replace all 4 under warranty instead of just the fault one.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 01 December 2003

The original mk2 172 ignition coils have a known fault - i had this problem and forced renault to replace all 4 under warranty instead of just the fault one.
The AA guy said the same about my bosses, as it requires the top part of the engine removing its best to get them to change all 4 at once. Just in case.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the 172 engine has a coil pack(like a 1.2 16v) not individual coils like the other petrol 16vs.i have changed a few of these coil packs for misfire problems in the past.

This is happening to my HT leads! Nick Hill has re-arranged them so they should make the 36k service, but he said that they had been installed very badly at the factory.