ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with xenons-electrical wizards required

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Not a clio ;) but still a renault :rolleyes:

Got myself a Megane 225 in part-ex for my civic and I've got a problem with the xenon headlights

The xenon headlight on the drivers side isn't working, found that the bulb was broken so got a new one, put it in & it still didn't work.

I then swapped the headlights around - plugged the passenger side unit ( which worked perfect) into the drivers side & vice-versa. Had the same problem,drivers side xenon not working, the wiring etc on the passenger side worked perfect as did the drivers side unit that was plugged into that side. So I know there's nothing wrong with the unit itself.

So the next port of call was the wiring & fuses, got the handbook and it says go to a dealership to change the fuse :eek: piss off!! :mad:

Eventually found the 10amp fuse for the drivers side & saw it was blown. Changed the fuse and it blew straight away, cue my sparky(ish) mate with his multimeter. When he put it onto the bits where the fuse plugs in, it completed the circuit & the light came on....briefly...then off again.
My mate got a reading of 20 amps which then fried his multimeter :dapprove:

So to sum it up, the drivers side xenon headlight doesn't work as the circuit is drawing 20amps (or more) that's popping the 10amp fuse, anyone got any idea how to fix this?

BMW M135i
Its pulling more than 20A I imagine, theres 99% a short on the circuit somewhere you've just got to find it and sort it.

Gal

A Clee O
Followed by the fire? (highly unlikely but not the point)

reminds me of a fiesta I once had - I put a larger fuse in then specified ended up frying the circuit.

Would definately advise against it.

Off Topic slightly your mates multi meter must be pap if it blew with 20amps going through it.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
deffently dont put a larger fuse in, If its drawing 20amps it will deffently be a short, just follow back from the plug at the drivers side H/l. two wires are more than likely rubbing together.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
reminds me of a fiesta I once had - I put a larger fuse in then specified ended up frying the circuit.

Would definately advise against it.

Off Topic slightly your mates multi meter must be pap if it blew with 20amps going through it.

Railway electricians equipment for you :rolleyes: lol

tbh honest he did spout some other crap about it blowing & why but it just went over my head :S so I just got on with smashing out the brake pad retaining pins :evil: made me feel much better

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned above, follow the wires back, and check for obvious places that could be causing a short, like water in the connectors atc