ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems fitting rear brake disc

Clio 182
Yesterday I attempted to change my rear brake discs and pads, the passenger side was easy enough but on the drivers side I could not get the disc on. I tried two different discs in case it was a tolerance issue with the disc but had no luck. It would go on about 2-4mm and then get stuck and not go any further (when removing the 2nd disc after it getting stuck I accidentally pulled the bearing apart and had to force the inner part off)

I've changed rear discs previously on my old 182 as well as doing the left hand side on this one no problem, previously they have just slid on by hand.
The wheel bearing on that side was worn before it was replaced, but there does not seem to be any damage to the stub axle, it almost seems as if the stub axle is slightly too large but that seems unlikely as its done 54k miles so guessing someone has managed to change the discs before (the old disc had to be forced off as well but i thought that was down to the bearing being knackered).

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or if theres something really obvious i am forgetting? The car is currently stuck on my drive with only 3 wheels so cant even be taken to a garage to be fixed!
Is there a tool i can use to force a new disc on without damaging the bearings?

Thanks

Lionel Richie
yeah common, you have to clean up the stub axle with some sand paper first to get rid of all the rust and stuff, that bearig that fell apart is now scrap BTW :(

FF Clio 182
Question: Can you grease the stub axle to help slip the bearing on or would that defeat the point of the bearing as it wouldn't grip?

182FF
The bearing inner is surely clamped in so it won't rotate? (I've not seen it myself) If it offers less rolling resistance with a drip of grease than your bearing then you've got bigger issues to worry about...

FF Clio 182
I have never done it before but plan to change mine in the future so I just wanted to know if grease was an option

FF Clio 182
Also if you used grease to get it on the stub axle but then locked it in place with the hub nut it wouldn't be an issue?

182FF
Also if you used grease to get it on the stub axle but then locked it in place with the hub nut it wouldn't be an issue?

I would imagine not but I wouldn't personally like to have grease near my hub nuts, nyloc or otherwise.

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies,

I'll get a new bearing and some sandpaper tonight and give it another go. it looked pretty clean for the most part but there were a few small spots of rust on it.

Thinking I should have just taken it to Fred originally! its now been off the road 4 days due to having to wait for another spacer from renault as the other was in peices and now this!

Clio 182
Yer I thought you would have, popped round Monday to see if i could buy one as I was over your way but missed you.

Finally all back together now and actually quiet again. Didn't realize quite how noisy the old bearing was until it was replaced.
Cheers!