ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems getting 172 Cup through MOT

Clio 172 Cup
A yearly prob with the 172`s grrrr,what the garage does where i have mine tested is confirm it with VOSA they do this for the cover note.
I suggest u take it to back the garage tell them to ring VOSA to confirm its how the car is built or tell em u`ll take it else where,there are plenty of arse mechanics about.
Btw they r breaching there regulated duties as they shud b checkin for updates as this came about awhile ago:mad:

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah the guy is ringing me back Monday - if he won't agree to do it I think I might actually take it to renault for the MOT instead

No No watever happens don`t take it 2 fkn Renault they knw wat prob is n still insist its summit more serious w****s:mad:

this flags up as a warning to the tester when a clio cup is logged on, just a muppet mot tester

He said it didn't - he said it comes up with "special instructions" but nothing for a 172 - But saying that he didn't even know what a cup was - just kept saying the other 172's he's done all have the bias valve connected *sigh*

A yearly prob with the 172`s grrrr,what the garage does where i have mine tested is confirm it with VOSA they do this for the cover note.
I suggest u take it to back the garage tell them to ring VOSA to confirm its how the car is built or tell em u`ll take it else where,there are plenty of arse mechanics about.
Btw they r breaching there regulated duties as they shud b checkin for updates as this came about awhile ago:mad:

Yeah I took the update from the website in (from 2006) and he said he'd never seen it :(
He's supposed to be ringing VOSA today and then ringing me - hopefully he'll say they've told him to ignore the rear brake part of the test and the only other thing it failed on was headlight alignment - so I can get that done and get it passed

If he mucks me about any further I'll be ringing around today for another garage. Does anyone know of one near Lincoln/Doncaster that are good with Cups?

Arghghghghhghhhhhhh

Just had a phone call
VOSA have said I'm right and the bias valve isn't supposed to be connected - but that the "acceptable braking force at the rear" is up to the tester - and he says it's still not good enough

Recommended I clean the rear pads and discs and free the calipers up and go back for a retest

Now call me stupid - but if its pre-set to 5% of braking force at the rear - no matter how clean the discs and pads are it's never going to apply enough braking at the rear to make him happy is it????? Argghghgh

I guess I either need to find another MOT place, or cable tie my bias valve open a bit so it sticks more fluid through to the rear

He also said it was showing 18% on one side and 31% on the other - so it sounds like too much fluid is going to one side. I read a lad who had the same problem ended up putting a brand new bias valve on and it solved it - so I'm wondering if mines seized up in the same way - but I don't want to spend £50 on new discs and pads, and £120 on a new bias valve - just for an awkward MOT tester :(

As a follow up to this - mines now passed

I found the arm on the rear bias valve was very rusty with no movement at all so spent 30mins freeing that up with some wd40 - then I cable tied the arm up to the chassis as I didn't trust the little spring to hold it up

Took the rear pads out and cleaned them all up - and copper greased the sliders etc..

But when I went back he printed out the MOT work sheet and this time it had loads of special instructions on. Seems like after he rang VOSA and gave them my reg plate - they've now updated my car on the system to have the special instructions

Last test rear brakes failed on 31% and 18% - this time both were over 90%

WIN :D Bit of a pain in the arse though