ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems selling 172s/cups

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Anyone having a job to sell their 172/cups?

Not shifted mine as yet and there is another cup (52 plate) for sale near me that has been up for sale for a few weeks too.

Is there no market for 2nd hand renosports? :(

Think most people have had a hard time selling them mate, tried advertising mine everywhere but never had no luck. Ended up trading it in for my new 182 cup :)

I have noticed that people are asking too much for them. For example, a mate of mine just got one for £4995. 01/Y 45k. Excellent condition too. There is also a W/00 45k 172 on autotrader for £4995. People will look at the cheaper cars first. They have dropped in price quite a bit since the arrival of the 182.

Theres 6 on autotrader cheaper!!

I am looking at a 01/Y blue 172 with 32k for £5450 at the weekend. Could probably get it for £5300.

They are getting cheaper Im afraid.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

To be honest mate they "should" sell better in the summer, alot of people are now put off at the fact that they have no ABS etc.... IMHO they go for the fat 172s and get all the toys for say £800 more?

Good luck with the sale tho.... still getting rx7????

golf

THink £8.5k is to much mate. Just sold an 03 plate with 14k miles on the clock for £8495 and you dont want to know what it was costing us!

MKIII 138

tell me about it. I want a 182cup but i need to sell my current car 172MKII its got decent aftermarket wheels + standards + koni adjustable and its a late 53 reg with 30k on the clock im asking 7k now !!

absolute bargin if you ask me. but trade in prices are sooo tight and i cant physically go any lower than that.

320d

My mate sold his 172Cup on a 03 with 14000 miles for £7200 very recently had it advertised for ages with zero interest

Theres 4 Cups on the forecourt at my local reno i was there today

The sales man said hes sick of the sight of them coz there just not selling

Same here. 53 cup with only 4400 miles and climate. Its got to be worth 9k!?!

Ive already shelled out £17500 for a new car so I could do with someone buying it. Got only 2 calls from Autotrader, 1 came and looked the other didnt turn up.

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 16 March 2005

was looking far 8.5k for mine...03 cup 18k..not too much is it?

Dont wanna trsde it in for a 182...Im done with clios
Yeah, if/when I sell mine Ill be after about £8k or just under I think - 03 172 23k (import, but with Cobra cat 1 alarm fitted). Im very tempted to trade it in for a 182..!

GW Clio 200

i have never had a car with a sh*ttier second hand value. i wanted £7500 for mine on here, had no interest. advertised it locally for £7995 - no interest. took it back to dealer who sold me it for £11500 6/7 months ago. he is giving me £7600 for it. the arse has dropped out of 182/172 especially. mine is 03 monaco blue with loads spent on tasteful but loud ice and 17" oz superturismos with toyo proxes. they just dont sell. glad i am with audi now which hold there value very well.

Try selling a scooby, its near on impossible. Took me 5 weeks to get rid of mine.

A 03 plate cup is now more than 2 years old with less than 1 years warranty left. I think £8500 is to much considering they were around £11000 new.

After 3 years they should be roughly worth 50% of the initial value. So around about £5500-£6000. Yours should be priced at around £7500 IMO

Elise/VX220/R26

03 plate cup is gonna be about 7k Im afraid m8 you will sell it if you price it right, performance cars are always a b**ch to shift

But with the CUP in particular it had great press, EVO loved it and called it the new 205gti etc. so I thought thered be a market for the enthusiast.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

total disaster since the new 182 came along the prices are well low, tho considering you can get a new one for 10500 then an 03 plater aint gana be much interest if for another 50-70 oer month your getting a brand new car, ultimately thats how folk will view it

Street Triple R

trying to sell mine too, hope it goes soon, i wanna put the money towards a racing car!:devilish:

Just praying it doesnt take as long as my Evo did, that took about 3 months!

Quote: Originally posted by R20 CWH on 17 March 2005

total disaster since the new 182 came along the prices are well low, tho considering you can get a new one for 10500 then an 03 plater aint gana be much interest if for another 50-70 oer month your getting a brand new car, ultimately thats how folk will view it
What this man said, if your gonna buy a hot hatch, most people would prefer to spend a little more, get a new one that they know has not been thrashed.

I traded my 52 plate Cup, with 18k on the clock, for 8k in December for a LCR. I think that was a flipping good deal if you ask me, got out with some dignity!

Quote: Originally posted by xzibit on 16 March 2005

I have noticed that people are asking too much for them. For example, a mate of mine just got one for £4995. 01/Y 45k. Excellent condition too. There is also a W/00 45k 172 on autotrader for £4995. People will look at the cheaper cars first. They have dropped in price quite a bit since the arrival of the 182.
Wow, cheap... I might get one next year. Or maybe 3 if they keep going down!

Indeed, there are bargains to be had if you look around. I mean, theres mk1 172s on here going for over 6k with higher mileage than the ones Ive looked at.

Unfortunately, in the last few months, they have dropped quite a bit. I have found 4 mk1 172s in my area below £5500. All but 1 with less than 50k.

MKIII 138

im emabarassed to say but i was offered 6k trade in price for my MKII 172 with 30k only late 2003 model so as you can see if i did trade at that price (bought for 12k) then i would have lost 50% value in 16months.

im just gonna keep. shame as i only owe 7k on finance now so if i they had offered me 7k trade in i would be driving a 182cup right now. as it is i think ive just missed out boo hoo !

on a plus note my cars a beast. and ive learnt that £400 per month (fuel,loan,insurance,roadtax etc..) just for a clio is way too much, especially when ive just bought a house and now have mortgage repayments.

nxt car is a derv methinks.

Clio 197

Sold my crashed Ragnotti in one day. Of course there were only 300 of them built. I was very lucky because the buyer was the only one who called on my advert!

Ed

325ci sport cab 2004

Hi

Im new to the forum, just registered a min ago. Love Clios especially 172 cups, think in standard form they look amazing, the wife does seem to think they look like any other blue clio...shell get over the bruises..

I agree about the cup selling thing, I think the whole market is slightly dented at the mo, the 172 cup is a nice car but for a niche sector plus people want a bargain.

But its demoralising though when no one phones up about your pride and joy.

Good luck..

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by beacytan on 16 March 2005

glad i am with audi now which hold there value very well.
Depends what Audi it is! Some arent amazing either.

Ive seen early A3 1.8Ts going for less than their VW brothers. Not sure why?!?!?!

The trouble is, the 172/cups are aimed at the people who want small hot hatches. As they are ins. grp 16, this makes it pretty hard for anyone under 20/21 to get a decent quote, and people 25+ can get a much quicker car due to insurance being cheaper.

When they start to come down in price, like they have been lately, they will be much more viable for the younger age range who wants them. This happened with dare I say it, the saxo. There are floods of them around now, as they are very cheap.
Edited cos I cannot spell!

[Edited by xzibit on 17 March 2005 at 1:31pm]

Ph1

100% true this.

Begining of the summer last year i was offered 8 and a half for my mk1 172 at a Scooby dealer !! it had about 36 tho on the clock too !!!

i had it in writing too !!

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by beacytan on 16 March 2005

glad i am with audi now which hold there value very well.
do they?? :confused:

from what ive seen Audis drop like stones (most models) well... compared to their german equivelants anyway

[Edited by jongsr4 on 17 March 2005 at 11:36pm]

Ive got one question. Why is everyone trying to get rid of there 172s?? Its a great car with a lot of performace. Ive had mine a year and wouldnt dream of selling it.