ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with 172

Remapped derv Golf
A mate at works brother has a very early mk2 172. He recently had a "belt" service (not sure on the miles on the car) but shortly after his started produce black smoke and refusing to go anywhere (ECU light along with a couple of others)

I've never seen the car as it isn't local to me but the Renault dealers that serviced it is fixing it at the cost of £2200 for new piston rings and guides. They are agreeing to pay £550 towards the repair.

Unfortunately the information I have is quite sketchy.

Has anyone heard of this kind of fault before and should he write the Renault UK?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Sounds like a timing belt change that went horribly wrong. Car must have done either 72,000 miles or be about 5 fives old, this is when the belts are changed according to the manual. As Danlp6 says, make 'em pay - and for all of it!

Cheers, Rob669

Megane225FF
This sounds like a garage c0ck up... they should foot the whole bill, not part of it! Tell him to get complaining !!

193 mk2
not sure about address but here's renault uk's no.08000723372. phone them up, tell them whats happend & they should sort it for you!!!

What the keck did they do I'm guessing they set the cams wrongly when they put the belt back ie its 100% there fault and they should pay for all repairs.
Still I'd not pay that much go to get a new 182 engine for £1.2k then £400 or so fitment.
However there repairing the engine so the costs higher, best often to replace the whole thing.
Noo exact idea what mike charges for a cambelt £400 maybe its less than Renault and a good bloke who knows what he's on about.