ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Product Photography - Bread/cakes... Bakery related foodz.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've been asked to take some photos of bakery products for a friend on Monday, for her website.

Now, I've no idea where to start with this (aside from getting the camera out the bag :rasp:) .. I've looked online but bread just looks like bread. :S

She's not too sure what she wants either, so it's going to be a little painful I think ! :dead:

Anyone got any hints/tips/ideas etc ?

Thanks !!

Rob

I've been doing some product photography lately, but I'm lucky enough that I can use the studio at work.

Lighting is the key to making it look interesting. Also, are you having a plain white background, or something more interesting and natural? Either way, you're going to need some flash use.

Not sure what to advise tbh unless you're a little more specific.

Also, be careful of lens disruption. I have thin problem when photographing stuff at work, if it's a relatively wide angle lens you use, you'll get horrid distortion. That will make the cakes or whatever look weird. So it might be worth trying the different lenses as some are better than others.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've absolutely no idea Mr F !

She doesn't seem to know what she wants .. she said she's tried taking photos but with a crappy camera (no idea what she's got) on a white background and is getting nowhere fast.

Google seems to bring up photos of bread on wooden chopping boards, blue/white tea-towels, or in baskets, or on plain white background.

Cupra
You could try a DIY lightbox. They can give photos a bit of extra help with lighting.

Clairemay from here (ipodsandguns other half IIRC) does a fair amount of cupcake and food photography. Her photostream is worth a look.

182 & Porsche 986
You could try a DIY lightbox. They can give photos a bit of extra help with lighting.

Clairemay from here (ipodsandguns other half IIRC) does a fair amount of cupcake and food photography. Her photostream is worth a look.

hehe :)!
I've never done actual product photography, e.g. stick the product on a white background as i don't have the equipment to do that such as flashes.. and its just a bit boring!
depends what shes after? like you found the bread on a breadboard etc, think that makes it a little more interesting than the white back drop.. but it really depends what the image is going to be used for. A nice sharp lens, and good lighting is a must. I use my 50mm or for more detailed photos a macro lens. (nikkor 105mm)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers guys, I've asked her what she thinks she wants incase she can give me any more of an idea :S

I'm thinking low DoF is the way to go but depends WTF she rocks up with in her picnic basket !

:evil:

Stick to the 50mm f1.8 so that you keep lens distortion to a minimum - will also allow you to do some detailed shallow DOF shots to try and make it look more interesting lol

As others have said - lighting is key. You need to get the 430 ex off the camera (you can use the 7D to trigger it remotely) and get a softbox ideally to keep the harsh shadows to a minimum

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Worth a watch. Its a giggle but covers whats needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers iP&G .. will watch in a second.

Phil .. You're talking to me like I'm a pro .. I've no idea what a softbox is what I'd do with it or where to get/make one.......

Take some cocktail sticks and use them to restore the 'crumb' to any cut bread as the knife can squash it down a bit!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
No problem dude, thanks. Not really an option as D-Day is tomorrow... and I'm not being paid for it aside from any left over cakes haha !

Brazo, I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about .... adding the crumb !?

I'll let her do what she wants with the food. I'll just snap away.

basically imagine a nice loaf of bread, cut it with a knife and the cut side is squashed in and looks not very nice!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just attempted a quick trial with flash on the right with a diffuser on it, a white box lid to reflect on the left and my 50mm @ f1.8

5970122350_67648a7d4a_z.png

First attempt at food pics ! by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Very minimal adjustments in Aperture, I'm fairly happy with it. Could have cropped it central TBH but never mind !

Hopefully tomorrow will turn out alright. :S

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not a bad result my friend :)

Excuse the pun but piece of cake!

What lenses did you end up using?

Good shots TEG! Look like they came out well!! The tomato and onion bread & the close up carrot cake in your photostream both make me hungry!!

50mm at 1.8? Some nice focus points picked out!!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers dude, pretty happy client and pretty happy me TBQFH !

Will see what happens when she glues them to her website next week.

:approve: