ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Ph-OneSevenTwo

Titanium 182
Its a bit of a love hate thing, people seem to love to hate them....

In real life I think they actually look really nice, pictures don't quite do them justice. Most people who see them in the flesh quite like them.

Whats the plans then mate?? Speedlines looked great last time. I'd love a vee spoiler but they're so pricey!!

Vee/trophy spoilers look shite !!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Vee/trophy spoilers look s**te !!!

Fo' Rizzle??? There's a chap on here with one on a silver ph1, if the car was lower and had a ph2 bumper it'd look the nuts IMO.

But don't worry boyo, I've got a cup spoiler coming now, so if you ever come darn sarf we can have matching spoilers.... *giggles*

Edit:

DSC00824.jpg

I'm starting to think you could be right....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
V6 spoiler looks awful on the 172.

Ph1 bumper in my spare room also up for sale soon if anyone wants it ? Swap for a marsbar or Pprsche GT3 RS. Comes with free tyre-iron thing.

When the internet comes to my village, I will upload some photos from the other weekend ! Hoping to have running water installed by 2012, electricity by 2020. Internet before my grankids retire....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so an update to the project... attended my first meet with the 172 on Saturday, good to meet some more members and catch up with people....

A quick pic from the meet:

3.jpg

And a nice wide arch pic from after the meet...

5.jpg

Tonight I also managed to get my cup spoiler fitted, something I've always wanted for the clio, both old and new, so was really happy to get it :)

Before:

a.jpg

b.jpg

After:

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Really happy with it is an understatement.

Future plans include the following:

• Sand & Polish Up Headlights
  • Fit 6000k HID's
  • Shorter Aerial
  • Carbon Sticker Front Diamond
  • Carbon Wrapped Bullets
  • Carbon Wrapped Rear Boot Buton
  • Carbon Wrapped Rear Windscreen Wiper Plate
  • Steering Wheel Re-Trim or OMP Leather Wheel
  • Paint Plenum & Fuel Rail Guard Matt Black and Tidy Bay
I'm not sure on the carbon-ness yet, but I think the little touches could look smart :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so less of an "update" per sé, but more of a combination of all of my recent threads... (I've neglected the project thread a bit and I want to this car to really be mint when I've finished with it)

Since my last update and in order:

The car made quite a trip up to the lakes, after over 900 miles in 1 weekend it did look very sorry for itself, but I loved the roads:

CIMG2218.jpg

Now, after this trip I didn't get much done to the car for a while, my drivers side CV boot decided come unclipped, and spill grease everywhere, I tried to sort it myself and failed, so off to Two Techs in Dartford the car went, and come back lovely. (Top guys)

I decided the car now needed a damn good wash, both inside and out, come up pretty well even if I do say so myself :)

29.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

30.jpg

Then I decided to tidy up the bay a bit, as to be honest, it was a mess. I fitted my JMS induction set up some time ago, and just left it at that, but this weekend I decided to solve that.

Before:

17.jpg

After:

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

The same day I shot down to the Tonbridge meet, a few cheeky shots:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now the upcoming list is pretty epic (and kind of in order), but all of it will be getting done and this thread will be getting updated, a lot, over the coming weeks/months. (Its summer now and the days are longer :D)

• Fit Skoda splitter
  • Paint calipers green and sort sticking passenger side one
  • Sand & Polish Up Headlights
  • Paint newly sourced wheel centre caps black
  • New style Renault Sport interior mats
  • Touch up small scratch on front bumper
  • Steering Wheel Re-Trim or OMP Leather Wheel
  • Fit 6000k HID's
  • Shorter Aerial
  • Carbon Sticker/very thin carbon front diamond (an idea in progress)
  • Carbon Wrap - Bullets, Rear Boot Buton, Rear Windscreen Wiper Plate
  • New brake light for cup spoiler
Any suggestions/things I've forgot, feel free to suggest.

CLIO PH1 172
cars looking nice mate, it will look good with green callipers i think it needs more little green touches like that :D

Iceberg Ph1
Car is looking dam good if I do say so.. I love it, has to be one of my fav Ph1's on here now.. The matt black plenum really suits tbh also!

If you need a hand with the sticky calliper give me a shout, if I'm about I will give you a hand, done mine a few months back.

Did you manage to sort your headlights out? I'm after some HID's also.. I think I'll let you do yours first and then see how you located the ballasts, I had a look at mine the other day for mounting places, the passenger side looks pretty easy its just the drivers side a little cramped cos of the CAF's etc..

Got to get me a splitter now tbh, I actually like they way they look, and for £12, can't go wrong!

Done an oil change on mine yesterday along with an intensive wash, followed by SRP and EGP.. Car looks stunning (for a change lol)

My wheels are next for the refurb! Fancy earning a few quid ;).. Repair and spray please haha!

Got to catch up soon before the shine wears off the car lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Car is looking dam good if I do say so.. I love it, has to be one of my fav Ph1's on here now.. The matt black plenum really suits tbh also!

If you need a hand with the sticky calliper give me a shout, if I'm about I will give you a hand, done mine a few months back.

Did you manage to sort your headlights out? I'm after some HID's also.. I think I'll let you do yours first and then see how you located the ballasts, I had a look at mine the other day for mounting places, the passenger side looks pretty easy its just the drivers side a little cramped cos of the CAF's etc..

Got to get me a splitter now tbh, I actually like they way they look, and for £12, can't go wrong!

Done an oil change on mine yesterday along with an intensive wash, followed by SRP and EGP.. Car looks stunning (for a change lol)

My wheels are next for the refurb! Fancy earning a few quid ;).. Repair and spray please haha!

Got to catch up soon before the shine wears off the car lol.

Cheers mate, the amount of time it takes to do wheels really outweighs the cost I'm afraid, its a serious amount of effort. I'd be more than willing to give you a hand with them though? :)

I want to get the caliper done asap, but it looks like I'll have to wait til either you or Mike are about, lol! (When you around? I need to see your car actually clean! ;))

Get some pics up of yours, may fit my splitter tonight....

As for the HID's, CAF's? I have none! Simples!

P.s Click here for any spares you may need, good iceberg being broke!!

Golf GT TDI
only just noticed this thread, good work its looking excelent now

that spoiler really finished the rear end off

CLIO PH1 172
what was you getting done at the garage ? didnt realise you was there today as i was gunna pop in their today as i need to book my old mk1 in there some time soon!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tyre Gel.

I have some in my garage, the car was not washed today, TEG randomly photo'd me.

Plus tyre gel annoys me how it sprays all over the side of the car!!!

what was you getting done at the garage ? didnt realise you was there today as i was gunna pop in their today as i need to book my old mk1 in there some time soon!!

Having my drivers side drive shaft replaced that didn't need replacing.... lol!

New top GB mount needed... easy job though (I hope)

FLOL :lolup:

Can you buy him some trousers too please ? He's always turning up at my house in his GF's clothes.

Maybe I'll just move house.

Just because I'm man enough to wear shorts etc ;)

Iceberg Ph1
So all the faffing over the DS and it was the top GB mount?.. Your lucky dude.. thats a DIY job all day long..

I'm now starting to don the 3/4's now fella! The weather is lovely!

Who wants to clean my car? One of you two must be wanting too? Lol

Iceberg Ph1
Dam.. :rasp:

Was worth an ask I guess.. Don't matter anyways.. I'm seriously weighing up the costs of flogging the Clio now.. Just lost all love for it now recently..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so I haven't been into here for quite some time, as the ph1 has taken up more money in maintenance than one would expect... little bits and bobs have been done, but it's mainly been tidying, no ground breaking stuff...

What's been done since I last posted (going from oldest up to most current stuff)

First off, I somehow snapped my main engine mount/cambelt cover, and sheared two bolts. A serious ball ache.

IMG_0403.jpg

Which left me with my car like this for some time:

photo3-1.jpg

Got myself cambelt cover piece, all the old snapped bolts out, and the shiney ones in. (Massive amount of thanks to DannyR on here for helping me with parts at the time).

Next, I ordered myself one of Davo's footrests, very happy with this, just tidy's up the footwell nicely.

3.jpg

Then, I started to get a knock, this was probably the single most irritating thing in my life for more than a month, I just couldn't figure it out, it turned out to be some wrongly sized bolts on a bottom balljoint.... kill me...

During this time I changed suspension top mounts, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, you name it, so at least the car is nice and fresh now.... :eek:

I then got some standard looking 2.0 16v bullets off Fubar, top chap, I fitted those in favour of my badly painted silver ones, (I may try something interesting with these)

I also fitted a skoda splitter, and a new stealth exhaust I source from a member on here, a much quieter system (almost standard sounding).

No pics of any of the above I'm afraid (slacking I know)

Then, I got forced off the road by an idiot not paying attention and changing lanes, where I had a slight altercation with a kerb....

The result:

photo6.jpg

Now with a custom paint job, you can imagine, this will be a serious pain in the ass to replicate.... :(

Tonight I drove down and met Silent_Scone (Mike) off here, (another top chap) who sorted me out with a single o.z f1....

I know the colour of the black, but the green is a total unknown and I can't find out for a while. I'm going to prep the wheel fully, and paint it ford gloss black, I then hope to get a body shop or similar to spray me a green lip and lacquer the wheel.

So anyways, that's where I'm at right now... quite a bit coming up:

• Refurb wheel (priority number 1)
  • Fit the four Toyo's I have sitting in my garage (once wheel is refurbed)
  • Get some new style RS mats (finally)
  • Fully refurb the sun damaged headlights (only did a 1/2 job on them before)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right then, time for a mega update:

A lot has gone on and at one point I'd lost a certain love for the car, but recently it's back with vengeance and I've been cracking on.

Since the last update the following has happened:

Firstly, I took on the task of creating my necessary wheel, this was a bit of a pig, and really took some masking, but the final result was worth it:

It started off like this:

photo2-3.jpg

A bit of paint:

photo-2.jpg

Finished off with cleaning the tyre up, lacquering and adding the sticker:

up2.jpg

up1.jpg

Then it was time to for a road trip to France with the mrs: (shot in champagne)

15.jpg

So, now I decided to fit myself a new steering wheel. I wasn't a big fan of the dish, the suede, or the size (330mm) of the current one.

I removed the old one:

photo2-2.jpg

And fitted my new OMP Trecento 300mm in faux leather: (This is probably the best mod I've done to the car, I love the way it drives.

Comparison Shot:

photo7-1.jpg

Fitted:

photo8-1.jpg

photo9-1.jpg

I then had a SMALL accident with fire, and did this to my seat... :eek:

attachment.jpg

After a few months of no action, I was confronted with an odd vibration whilst pulling away hard in first, and if I was really killing it in second. Around the same time I was seeing signs of a dead CV joint... so with that in mind I went to Failsport HQ to have my NS drive shaft changed.

The last time I was at Failsport, Mike (Budgie) and I discovered that my upper gearbox mount was impossible to undo, like something was honestly broken, so with that in mind Mike and I decided to change that whilst doing the driveshaft.

When we removed the mount, we noticed that the bottom nut had worked completely loose and gone walkies. Wonderful (and almost definitely the cause of the vibrating)

After changing both the car was sweet as a nut.

At this point I decided that having an excellent set of tools and a seriously s**te jack wouldn't do, so I bought myself a proper jack (Thanks to Admin Tom for letting me using his costco card, what a guy)

photo4-3.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

At this point I decided that I'd had enough of the ph2 rear end on the car, and at around the same time a rather smashing deal on some different wheels came up.

Edewer on here was selling a set of Cades Eros wheels, so I snapped those up sharpish as they were wrapped in almost new Paradas and my f1's were getting on a bit and not with good tyres:

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

UP3-1.jpg

After this, it was service time. I took the car to Danny at 519 and had a full cam/aux belt service and gearbox oil change. Amazingly happy with the work carried out and the car hasn't missed a beat since.

With the service done, I took the car up to the lakes for the second time in two years, staying at the same lovely place as last time with the mrs. Some honestly amazing roads here.

Also, whilst I was here, the car wouldn't start randomly, fortunately Tunst lives in the area and provided phone support, just as he was about to head down with the 4x4, it fired into life. Anyhow I went over there the next day to check it out, no fault to be seen.... so put it down to being parked on a damn big hill with not a lot of fuel. (Thanks for the support mate :) )

The Lodge:

2.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

Also, after a Southend meet at some point, TheEvilGiraffe took a rather lovely shot of my car:

11.jpg

I also popped down to O.I.A.M's meet in orpington:

pic3.jpg

DSC05914.jpg

Right, so that's everything that's happened since I last updated (I've always taken pictures, just never been in here)

Now, for the recent bits: (no real pics of any of this yet).

Two weekends ago, I decided to have a go at something I've wanted to try for ages (no, not bum love) a full ph2 interior conversion...

My particular ph1 already has a ph2 carpet, rear doorcards and seats, so I didn't have quite as much to source.

After finding the necessary bits, I cracked on over at a friends/fellow members place a couple of weeks ago (a few in progress shots):

Flagged-2.jpg

Flagged-1-1.jpg

Flagged-3.jpg

Flagged-4.jpg

Flagged-5.jpg

Flagged-6.jpg

I've not quite finished yet, but will have after picking up a last few bits this w.e so I'll have proper up to date pictures. I'm also going to be writing a full guide.

This week I managed to source a full set of 182 seats, the only difference being that the dots on the seats are white (and I manage to get rid of my burn marks). (Pics to follow). I am however considering some Recaro's that are currently for sale...

Despite not having any proper pictures of this either - I've fitted the brand new style RS mats, a massive improvement.

Last but not least, this hunky fellow, I think Gray's his name, sent me over a couple of f1 centre caps, so now I'm just waiting on a couple more and I'll be all set.

Things that are coming up:

This week I'll be fitting my set of silver f1's.

After that, all that's left on my list now is getting a ph2 bootlid done with a 197 RS badge.

I'm open for suggestions on where to go next?

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Re: Project Ph-OneSevenTwo - ***Bloody Long Update***

No mention there of ur car not starting ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Haha, i didnt expect anything like that tbh! It was just an "Update" you missed.. :rasp:

Cars looking good, should be nice with the Ph2 dash etc, any more interior parts you need? ;)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

Yes!
Brilliant work Rob!
Very much looking forward to seeing the dash complete, how far did you get with it?
Definitely want to do this to mine as well, so really looking forward to seeing how it comes out :)

The switches are the main worry for me, so if you could sort something for them you are a genius!

Awesome work as always :approve:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Cheers mate, I do love a silver ph1 :eek:

It's 90% done, switches are the complicated bit I'll admit but I'm quite sure I can write an idiot's guide on that now. Only thing I will struggle with is chopping and plastic welding the hazard switch behind the new style one.

Put it this way, next weekend, every switch in the car will do something, the only thing that is non operational is the air recirculation.

By next weekend you won't be able to tell it's converted, at all, I hope.

How far it is at this very moment, only things needed are:

Headlights adjuster panel
Dash strips
Gearstick gaitor
Get hazard switch working

Think that's it.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

I have all those parts ;) and more tbh, il go for a full interior plastics strip down, all urs for the lovely price of £4235 ;)

Whats ur plans after this then?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

That's what I don't know. Should be fitting the f1's this week, then a ph2 bootlid (want to find a 182 one).

After that I am a little stumped....

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Sell it and go FI, thats my plan when money is good! ;)

Engine mods? Bodies? ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Engine mods - 95% waste of money IMO...

TBH it'll probably be tracked to hell once I'm done with these bits, and I'll get a different daily.. maybe.