ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Rare Dragon

Arctic 182
Ok so first off it's all in the name. I bought an Arctic Blue 182 with factory fitted Recaro seats that came from Wales (had Welsh plates). I read or heard somewhere that there were only 29 ABs with the Recaro seats fitted from factory? (Anyone?) Get it, rare dragon? Good :D

So I was looking for an upgrade to my 172 Cup as I wanted something more sturdy, with more toys & just newer. I look at everything from FN2 type Rs to Focus STs. The Megane R26 was a top contender but insurance was too high & despite loving them I thought it would be too big for me. So in the end I thought why not a 182, it's everything I know & like but...upgraded! Hunted around & found this little gem, 38k with 4 owners from new, FSH (actually rang Cardiff Renault & got a good history from around 6k!!)
& a few mods;
Cup spoiler
Carbon Fibre Splitter
H&R springs
Turinis (baa)
KTec/Janspeed un-silenced cat back.

So stuff done so far.
Pioneer HU
Full Vibe Slick speaker upgrade
Subs (yes)
Two new front tyres
Silvervisions all round
Fancy plates 3/4 clean plates.
Various LED bulbs.
White Recaro seat stickers - @levaz

Stuff to do.
TwoTechs on Tuesday for belts, coolant, oil, filter, dephaser, brake fluid & a general check.
Fit sleeved decat
RSTuner (ordered)
Snappy Wheel
Custom Bullets from @Spinksy
Carbon grill & fog surrounds (dipped)
Interior dash strip & insert change.
Pretty sure the Turinis are the wrong bore size so I need spigot rings & I may remove the front spacers not sure.
I may also change the springs for Cooksports as I'd like better handling.
CLEAN THE SEATBELTS!!!

Big old detail & proper deep clean (& decontamination) when I get a good day for it, 1: to protect for winter & 2: to put my own stamp on it & get it looking minty mint (topped up my cleaning kit!) including interior. AutoFinesse Hyde on the seats ETC ETC.

Don't think there's a lot more to do until I want to change or mod other things. I'm gonna keep it looking nice, well serviced & just looked after seeing as it's such low milage & in good condition.

Seriously loving the 182 as it's not as DRIVE ME FAST like the Cup was, can definitely feel it's heavier & just 'beefier' than the Cup. A perfect upgrade. Decat will provide the noise I miss from the 172!!

Here's a few pics for now & I'll stop typing!
Updates to come. Cheers.
9ffc9c66e67a00e002e69f154dbe1134.jpg
3a90ddf105b129f9c449363374bf258e.jpg
4b7032eba7dd2a0a8a3d9d1572d63853.jpg

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It's a very underrated colour but that looks great, especially with the wheels, sets it off nicely mate

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not sad atall mate. Weather Tomo is crap, will still wash the car in work under cover. Sad, no. Strange to most, maybe. lol

Arctic 182
Not sad atall mate. Weather Tomo is crap, will still wash the car in work under cover. Sad, no. Strange to most, maybe. lol

Glad you get it lol.
I've had it since Saturday so I'm waiting until after the belts ETC have been done before I get stuck in properly. Don't want it clean & in a garage for 6 hours!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It's the latest one by the look of the thread you bought it from. Let me know when you have finished with it please

Arctic 182
I may be after one just need to check first. Which version is it?
He said it was the latest firmware so I think it is. Only after the 98Ron map though mate. Got interest from a mate in my area so if he doesn't want it I'll sort you out. I'm half dead & browsing lol but if you can be bothered check my history & you can see which one I've got. [emoji106]

Arctic 182
Little update & some pics.
Back from Twotechs & all is well. All belts, oil ETC ETC.
New front lambda too as old one was shot.
Need new oil cap (ordered) & also the rear drivers shock is leaking a bit. So I'll order both rears & refresh them on payday. Don't think it's Cup suspension either as its not on the receipt for the car as an option so standard shocks it is!
Put the 98RON map with RSTuner on & it's made such a difference.
Ordered a 'fatty' induction kit as I feel the Viper is too restrictive.

Also found out he is 1 of 25 with factory Recaros & not 29! Wonder how many are left?!

Anyway, time & weather was not on my side today so instead of my planned full detail I got as far as a snow foam, basic wash & all glass cleaned. I'm just itching to spend the day doing the full decon, clay, polish & wax, plus get fully involved with the interior & engine bay too.
Got my custom bullets being made & I'm on the lookout for a 182 wheel so I can get mine sent to snappy! Also want to get some bits dipped!
Here's a few pics for now & more updates soon.

9797e6992d0c4c3e3547fdd390728b6f.jpg
a5b6faab6cf8ec66c5cea9b899e9beb7.jpg
39b831004caf6ad1279397fa7ad263e1.jpg
02b1cee2546c1c8cae92eb643b287ba2.jpg
e335dd67c4239a2386b4fba0f6f26318.jpg

Arctic 182
Thanks matey I love it!
Bought it from a lad in Dover mate. Think it was meant for me as its half hour away instead of like 6 hours away lol.
I rang Renault Cardiff & they have MOT info from 6k miles. Not sure when it came down here though! Don't think it's had a hard life though.

Arctic 182
Brilliant pleased for you mate,cup washer blanks will really set that front end off

Thanks again mate, I'm really pleased too.
I was looking at the carbon ones SprayShack have got up for sale but don't wanna be taking the bumper off yet. Maybe in the summer lol.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Got my cup wheels done in the same colour,well they were Simon from Spray shacks newly done and honestly at first was not keen, but now they have really grown on me.How about the jms rs2 inlet on there mate next year?

Arctic 182
Love the colour mate it's perfect! Wanna get the dash strips changed from standard silver to the alloy colour!
Maybe in time, but it's all money lol. Im thinking I wanna keep her sort of OE but with a few little touches like a dash of carbon ETC. Due to the milage & condition I'm gonna maintain it & try to keep it clean as best as I can.

Arctic 182
Update time!
Got a load of new brushes & some Bilt Hamber APC delivered today so I gave my engine bay a bit of a clean up (and door shuts). Love the way it looks now but still need my alloy bend & RamAir filter in place of that god awful pipercross!
Fuel Rail guard looks a bit minging but it seems to have some crackle paint effect, either way I'll get another & get some high temp paint on it to smarten it up.
The polished battery cover came with the car so its temporary until I can get a MAD black one.
It's been super windy but no rain today (naturally it's started tonight) but if dry tomorrow it's interior time as my Raceglaze alcantara cleaner is coming!
Then Friday, weather depending, is decontamination, polish, seal & wax time ready for winter.
Got a 182 wheel from the Bay so gonna be in touch with snappy soon for a lovely retrim.
Also, rather than the carbon grill, I'm going for gloss black upper grill & fog surrounds as it looked great on my old Cup.
Finally, my rear shocks are coming from RPD tomorrow so they should be on Friday as one is leaking :(
Here are some engine pics for now!
Cheers for reading.
c89fb39d2d5f023e3b34e252a9270112.jpg
b31cfc8cff9385c8b1b4c739f884f0a7.jpg
0c23d868f6d4c6f4932d3b2abad24bc5.jpg
0349afc05cf33e6fc2cee23a4c259bdd.jpg

172 Cup
Lovely looking car. Glad the RSTuner was of good use. It's made a big difference to my cup too.

Interested in the fatty induction kit. Have you got links to the bits you bought?

Arctic 182
Got the rear shocks fitted today so touch wood that's the last mechanical thing on the list. Fitted a new aerial as I had a little bee sting thing fitted, plus a new rear wiper as the blade was dead on the old one.
Raining all day today so plans changed & I couldn't do the Trendlines properly. On a plus I did the seatbelts yesterday & they look brand new!!
Tomorrow is decontamination & winter protection day if the goddamn rain stops. Will keep updating!
Cheers for reading.

172 Cup
Thanks for the IK links. I've stuck my V6 box back on and it's noticeably better than stock so going to stick with that.

Did you get a full size aerial or short? I'll ask for another link if that's ok - last one I bought didn't fit!

Arctic 182
Thanks for the IK links. I've stuck my V6 box back on and it's noticeably better than stock so going to stick with that.

Did you get a full size aerial or short? I'll ask for another link if that's ok - last one I bought didn't fit!
No worries mate.
Yeah I saw your thread & IMO if the v6 box fits & works then you might as well keep it on there, especially after all the extra work he did.
If you go on Renault parts direct website & search for aerial mast I think it's about £8-£12 or something. I got the aerial, wiper & shocks in one order.

172 Cup
Yeah that's my thoughts too.

Thanks for that I will have a look for one.

In 2006 I had a look in a Renault garage in Edinburgh initially at a 172 Cup. The salesman took me out in what I think was an identical 182 to yours with the Recaros. I didn't pull the trigger but he pestered me for ages! I held off for my Subaru a year or so after.

Would like to see how a 182 compares to a 172 Cup now.