ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proud new Clio Cup owner!

Hi guys. I joined the forum a while ago, but have finally got round to buying a Renaultsport Clio, in the end I got a 172 Cup as it seemed the best value out of what I was looking at. Here she is:

520yzl.jpg

(see more photos in this album: http://imgur.com/a/062yf)​

I paid £2,000 for a Blue 2003 (53) plate, 82.5k miler. It came with FSH (6 stamps all well timed, latest one was a few k out), 10 months MOT, 4 months tax. Looking at the receipts it came with, it's been well looked after over the past few years with regular oil changes and parts renewed (inc. cambelt mid 2010). It came with a refurbished steering wheel and the anthracite Turini alloys in good condition. It came with the original manuals, wallet and spare key too. HPI checked, clean.

On the test drive I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of rattles and how the ride felt, the engine also didn't seem to move / vibrate much and it idled pretty nicely. The bodywork on the car is mint, apart from a tiny dink on the drivers door which you can't see unless you try, the interior is also in VGC.

To be honest, when I saw it, I was very surprised that it was as described in the Auto Trader advert and thought that it was a steal at this price. The bad parts are: it seems to be sitting pretty low, but I haven't seen other Cups, so maybe they are all this low, it has had recently replaced Eibach shocks and replaced springs and bushes, the guy reckoned they were all the same spec as the standard ones and not lower. It also has a "competition clutch" apparently, I don't know what that is, it could be good or could be bad, but seems alright over the few hours I've used it (if a bit heavy). It will need a couple of tyres in a month too.

The car was previously owned by a ClioSport member, as I found his member card in the glove box - ChrisW from Wales. Let's hope there are no horrors lurking beneath CP53 UKA :p. I'm very pleased with it so far, great noise and quick too!

What do you reckon?! My plans are to slam it, tint it, shove a...... ah, only kidding. My plans are to look after it, the only things I'm considering doing at the moment are a rolling road test and remap, just out of interest really. Oh, I also need to replace the stock CD player as I want to have an aux input.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
Looks good mate, car does't look that low, of you want to compare hide height you can have a look at my cup if you want

Yes Matt, that would be great if you could! I have been browsing mods today :p, I won't be doing any though as it's more than enough for me. Maybe in the summer I'll go for a few tiny mods, remap and RR if I get bored.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
whats in your boot by the way!? i've just bought a cup on 53 too but theres no spare wheel but there is a spare wheel well?

i think cups had tyre foam instead of a spare wheel? just looks a bit odd.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
thought so! but then why does the boot carpet sag? shouldnt something be there to support it? very OCD i know!

whats in your boot by the way!? i've just bought a cup on 53 too but theres no spare wheel but there is a spare wheel well?

i think cups had tyre foam instead of a spare wheel? just looks a bit odd.

Haha, funny you should say that. I knew that the 172 Cup should come with tyre foam and no spare, but my boot had the scratches where the spare wheel would fit in, so mine had one for some if it's life. I need to double check and make sure that I have the correct supplies, incase breakdown recovery have any issues with the car not having what it is supposed to.

Plus congrats on the purchase!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
thought so! but then why does the boot carpet sag? shouldnt something be there to support it? very OCD i know!

There should be a piece of mdf that the carpets fixed to, that's how they came :)

My carpet sagged because the original wood/cardboard used had split under the load from what the previous owner had put in the boot. I just tore the carpet off and re-glued it to a new bit of plywood cut to fit, much stronger.

2002 Clio Cup
I saw this car on PH classifieds back in September, it made it onto my shortlist and I was going to go look at it but found and bought another one just before! Small world!

I am refurbing one of my alloys on my 52 Cup and need a spare wheel! Does anyone know of the best sized wheel to fit whilst I do work on my wheel? I've tried a 13" but the brake disc will not fit within the wheel LOL

DCi 80 DieselSport
Nice, I've got UKC....;)

img0662ft.jpg

Originally from the Kidwelly dealer according to my keyring. I brought it from a guy in Gorsignon (sp?). Have never seen UKB....