ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proving what

Clio v6

This may grab a few opinions and make some interesting reading.

All this talk about racing up and down a strip and trying to get the lowest possible time etc.

Does it bother anyone if they do not take part is this excercise?

Are you content with enjoying your driving on the road.

Do you feel a lesser driver or (member) if you dont actively compete in this pastime?

Is it a sin to have a car and only mod it for appearance and not performance?

Do you care what anyone else thinks?

Once again I am only trying to get a picture of peoples views and NOT wishing to start any rows, because I hate silly "Mines bigger than yours" arguments.

It is an interesting one dash. I have to admit that I was not bothered before I went to York but now I love it, I am going against myself, it did not bother me when I lost to the Saxo even, just wanted to get the lowest time for me.

I am very content with driving on the road, I would sell the car if I wasnt to be honest.

As for modding on appearence instead of performance, each to their own as it can be costly with insurance, etc. Whatever floats your boat really.

All I care about is enjoying my car. Of late this has involved track driving, road racing (private roads of course!!), timed dragstip and touring around france and GB.

Not really fussed about getting top times on the strip but its a good crack attempting to better your previous times.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Dash I went to York last time and just watched.

Then I got the 1/4 mile bug and entered it for the first time Sunday.

It was great and a massive adrenalin buzz as you get to the line ready to take on your opponent in the opposite lane.

The first run a did I did up against a modded R5GTT and beat it. When then got back and a lady stepped out of the R5GTT and we both had a chat. We also held out our hands and both were shaking with the adrenalin buzz.

It is a great thing to do and you have to do it at least once.

Why buy a sports car if you are not going to use it.

I just dont get these people modding engine etc and not seeing how quick they are on the strip. Mouth/Trousers syndrome.

Clio v6

Well so far I think I may just need to visit one of these tracks and feel the mood. I may end up having a go just for the fun of it. If I start coming on here spouting my best times in some neandertal machoistic fashion, please ban me ;)

I remember seeing both of you shaking ! The first go I was cacking it !

I agree with everything you said CB, I have definitely got the bug now anyway ! Track day next I think !

Try and come to the next meet dash, you will love it and I wanna c that V6 !
:D

Clio 197

As for me, I couldnt be bothered with 1/4 mile times. Likewise any modification to my car will be purely performance related. I dont care about ICE or stuff like that.

But let me loose on the ring and Im a happy guy! Gears 3,4 and 5 get a workout along with the brakes. 9:17 of sheer bliss...

GR7

Shiny red R32

Dash, I for one wouldnt dream of revving my car along a quarter mile straight strip of old airfield. Personally, I would think that it is much more fun driving as quickly (and safely) as possible around some of the A and B roads around where I live, especially along the coast roads, where there are a few nice bends and I can get round them pretty quickly, sometimes in nice straight lines too.

I think this my car is faster than yours up the strip is really a boy thing, although I expect that I will be put right here if some girls do it too. Just remembered that Louise races her car!

No, I dont feel a lesser driver because I choose not to race the guts out of my car. If I was buying a second-hand car, I would rather buy my car than Nick Reads or one of the Bens cars! My mileage, although always very low, will have been driven much more carefully than the lads cars and surely my engine would keep in a better condition too.

It is good that some mod their cars for looks and others for performance, nothing wrong either way.

Over to you Jilly, Kathy and Chuckie!

PS I wouldnt say no to your V6 Dash ;)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

LOL @ Girlracer.

Why bother to get a 172 then ?

"Personally, I would think that it is much more fun driving as quickly (and safely) as possible around some of the A and B roads around where I live"

So you can do 80-90 mph legally on an A or B road can ya ? Nah dont think so !

A clio produces most of it power between 5-7k rpm but you probably wouldnt know anything about that cause 4k is your limit

Place your car back in the nice bubble wrap you have for it and never take it out to be sure.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Good question Dash. I guess my initial reaction would be - dont knock it until youve tried it. I wasnt really bothered about the drag-racing thing at the weekend, I went more for the social stuff. Once Id had a couple of goes I realised what all the fuss was about - its really addictive!

I always knew Id enjoy trackdays though. I just didnt bargain for how addictive they are. I cant believe that anyone who enjoys driving on the road wouldnt enjoy a trackday.

As for modding cars for appearance rather than for performance - well whatever floats your boat really - the whole idea of this stuff is that its a pleasurable hobby in whatever form it takes. So performance mods / cosmetic stuff like bodykits / ICE / quarter miling / trackday driving etc. etc. are all great and all deserve respect.

I think the thing about drag racing is that its a good day out for a big group of people - theres quite a bit of waiting around so plenty of time to chat, compare times, see other cars etc. Its more like a social meeting with a high-octane run up the strip every 20 minutes.

There are a couple of reasons I compete in 1/4 mile runs (if you can call it competing). Im interested in getting a better time for myself but the biggest reason is the social side of the day. I dont think I would go if there werent the regular York lot going with me.

Clio v6

Ah but some people are convinced that doing 50mph feels like they are racing, and believe they have had a great drive around the roads even at that modest speed.

I suppose its possible to throw your car around at 50 and get a great buzz.

You could still lock the door and look back at your shining example with no lumps of old airfield tarmac embeded in you bonnet.

Clio v6

"social side of the day"

Now thats tempting. Although I am quite shy, I do like meeting people for a natter.

GR, quote : "If I was buying a second-hand car, I would rather buy my car than Nick Reads or one of the Bens cars! My mileage, although always very low, will have been driven much more carefully than the lads cars and surely my engine would keep in a better condition too."

The 172 engine is built to go fast so you are not hurting it by using it for what it was made for ! I cannot understand why you even have a 172 when you do not drive it like it is supposed to be driven. Each to their own and all that but £13,000 is a lot of money to pay for something to look at in your drive when it is nice and shiny ! Also, it is most definitely not just a guy thing, Val could tell you that and also that girl in the GTT that raced Chavy, she was loving it ! I also saw a blonde woman ragging a Vectra GSI down the strip so it is not just for guys. I like to look after my car and keep it clean but I also realise that it needs to be ragged now and again, it is like ordering the best meal from the best restaurant in the world and looking at it and saying things like, "that looks good enough to eat", "I bet that tastes nice", etc. and then not eating it ! No offence but I am confused !
:confused:

Dave, I gotta admit that the social side of things was a huge plus to York and that is one big reason I would go again without thinking about it !

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Dash the airfield as you would expect is dead flat mate so no damage at all.

But as most people said its the meeting people.

I arranged a meal the night before and we ended up with 16 people turning up, alot of them I had not met before, it was great.

Try one then if you dont like it dont do it again.

LOL @ Dai ;) Well put.

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 09 October 2002

This may grab a few opinions and make some interesting reading.

All this talk about racing up and down a strip and trying to get the lowest possible time etc.

Does it bother anyone if they do not take part is this excercise?

Are you content with enjoying your driving on the road.

Do you feel a lesser driver or (member) if you dont actively compete in this pastime?

Is it a sin to have a car and only mod it for appearance and not performance?

Do you care what anyone else thinks?

Once again I am only trying to get a picture of peoples views and NOT wishing to start any rows, because I hate silly "Mines bigger than yours" arguments.
then we have the view...

"Why buy a sports car if you are not going to use it."

Use it for what ??..

and...

"I just dont get these people modding engine etc and not seeing how quick they are on the strip. Mouth/Trousers syndrome."

little bit of agression here me thinks lol... why does the strip prove anything apart from acceleration.. (Providing the driver is capable that is).. it doesnt..

It could even be argued that it is an easy way out to just test straight line acceleration.

Simple RR results can be used to caclulate the effective potential time achievable. or an ap22, there is absolutely no need to go to a strip to prove anything.

Most definitely, each to their own though... as said, its a fun thing to do, means nothing in real world usage or actual track / road racing or performance though.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Dash, I have to agree with some of your last comments - but 60 or 70 rather than 50mph! Keeps my car in better condition too.

CB I got a 172 because I thought it was cute and had lots of goodies as standard. Dont forget that I also have a fast Raider and an even faster 3.2 Beemer to drive :cool: (What a waste I hear you say)! :cry:

I might actually take my car around the track at Knockhill sometime as I would rather go round a few bends than travel in a long straight line.

Each to their own CB! :)

He he!

Guess were all Social animals then?

I must say I have really enjoyed the nights out in York weve had the day before the strip - drinking 10 pints of the finest yocal brew! And then trying to focus on the Xmas tree lights the following day! No wonder my reaction times are sh1te!!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Are you going to go over 50mph on the track then ?

Remember to take out the shopping before going on the track

BTW getting a perfect launch is hard to do a take a while to master.

CUTE - Ha Ha, and what about the illuminated vanity mirrors ?

You thought it was cute ? I have heard the 172 called a lot of things and cute is not one of them !

GR, 30 mph is 30 mph whether it is in a 172, M3 or Raider. You could put some pictures of kittens and stuff like that on the Raider to make it look less mean tho I reckon !

Clio v6

Well I think it sounds more like a social event experience than anything else.

I note that York is away up there ( coming from Essex ) is there anywhere similar nearer to me?

desmondo.. I think after 10 pints I might miss the Easter egg opening ceremony lol:D

GR7

Shiny red R32

Chavy Boy, I dont understand why it should matter to you whether or not I have fast cars or the way I drive them, just you look out to your own car and dont go worrying yourself about mine.

I suppose I shouldnt have bothered joining in this topic with you lads, as you will always THINK you are right even though you arent! :mad:

Trophy

Dash,

We will be meeting shortly at Santapod, Nick Read is coming!

GR,

Of course, were always right! Even when were wrong!!!

Mat.

BMW 320d Sport

hehe Dash mate youve opened up a whole can of worms! York is a long way but as you know, you and I only live a couple of miles from each other, and I think its definitely worth it, even from Southend! It was a superb weekend away for me and the wife.

GR thats fair enough and ok my car gets a thrashing and is often pushed beyond what the Renault engineers ever dreamed of. But the other side of the coin is that it gets possibly the most thorough servicing in the world for a road car. Its not just every 12k or 6k. Its every other weekend I am servicing, changing something, replacing bits and pieces, taking it apart to check the condition of things and generally pampering it. To give you an idea of how much dedication I have to my beloved Clio, theres nothing in there thats original except for the bottom end of the engine, a couple of sensors in the engine bay, the back seats and the fuel tank. Everything else I have replaced when or before it needed it and I know my car inside out. If I didnt already have a wife I would marry my 16v.

To put it simply you cannot push a car as far as I do and still run it reliably as an everyday road car as well, if you do not look after it in a way far beyond what my local Renault garage would deem acceptable.

Dash - you should come quarter miling mate. I wanna see a V6 go up the dragstrip and see what times it can do!

Joe - quarter miling is still IMHO the *only* effective measure of engine performance. It involves accelerating from a standing start, 0-60, 0-100 and distance testing and gives you all the figures on a pretty much unarguable timing slip although as we saw there can be errors occasionally. Rolling roads cant really be used for this. Plenty of cars make good figures on the rollers but cant cut it on the roads. Its only really worthwhile for before and after testing when youve been doing mods, and comparisons between similar cars with different mods, on the same day. OK the Ring would be fun to do but most people will never get the chance. Track days are fun but a lot more expensive than quarter miling and much worse on your car.

BMW 320d Sport

BTW another thing is that there is much more to 1/4 miling that just a book power figure and a theoretical ET, as everyone whos 1/4 miling knows.

GR - yes youre right about hustling around the B roads though, I love it. The only problem is, the roads round Essex are crap and there is too much traffic to drive as quickly as Id like. Even at night. Whenever Im on holiday in Cornwall, Derbyshire etc I definitely do enjoy my driving at whatever speed Im going...

GR7

Shiny red R32

Nick, you should come up to Scotland, as the roads are pretty quiet except in and around the cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh and the larger towns. There are some great roads through the Borders / Dumfriesshire / Lowlands areas, also some of the coastal routes have some nice bends for fast cornering.

Then, even better still, are the roads to the Highlands, which in places are like the Yorkshire Dales, where you see very little traffic but a few sheep or deer but you can whizz about pretty quickly.

None of your busy Essex / London traffic up here! Ask Ben Hume, as he seemed to enjoy driving in this area whilst he was working in Edinburgh. :cool:

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 09 October 2002

Chavy Boy, I dont understand why it should matter to you whether or not I have fast cars or the way I drive them, just you look out to your own car and dont go worrying yourself about mine.

I suppose I shouldnt have bothered joining in this topic with you lads, as you will always THINK you are right even though you arent!
GR - You just worry about what your husband calls you and dont go worrying about what CB calls his wife.

Taken from another thread -

"Why should your wife have the lesser car CB? Why dont you do the husbandy thing and give her the 172 and you have the ickle 1.2 Clio.

Also please stop calling your wife THE wife/missus just as you might say THE dog as MY wife sounds much nicer! "

I do agree with GR that many people would choose her car over that of Bens of Nicks. Dont you guys realise that driving a taxi is a nice part time job? :D

Clio v6

Well it went of topic just a little but I just want to say a BIG thanks to you all for your input.

This forum has some of the most mature minded and pleasant people I have ever come across.

Clio 197

TB1/Matt, I am lucky enough to live quite close to the ring so I get to play a couple times a week. Did about 200 laps this summer with my Willy. Each lap is 20km so it does add up. The 9:17 would be an average not too fast but not blocked by traffic sort of a lap.

If anyone is heading over, just let me know and Ill meet you there. Im always looking for an excuse to head out.