ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 vs. PS3 Slim [noise level]

Has anyone here made the switch and noticed a difference in the noise output from the fan?

My PS3 is starting to get noisier I think and, as I use it for Freeview and PVR duties, it is noticeable. I've also just switched to a passively cooled media player so use the PS3 less nowadays which perhaps is partly the reason I now notice the noise of the Playstation. It was always very subtle though, and much less intrusive than my x360. The 360 is now about the same (when the DVD drive isn't spinning) so I'm sure the Piss3 is getting worse.

Watching some recorded TV stuff the other day and my old man said WTF's that noise? He has a point. So anyway, am I likely to see a benefit from switching to a PS3 Slim?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ive just bought a Ps3 SL and it seems smoother/quieter also seems to load games quicker but im not sure if thats my imagination after my old one's blue ray reader decided to be a wee c**t

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sorry, I haven't made the switch but do have a PS3 slim. Use it for watching Blurays etc and I think it's quiet. So much so I haven't noticed it at all when it's on.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Much quieter mate, my bros 60gb sounds like it's going to take off, had the tv up at 50 the other night just to hear it!

All good so far then. Struggling to justify the expense though. I suppose I could smother it and hope it dies. Mine's not that bad yet. Got it on now playing some music at low level and I can't hear the fans.

The Cure FTW BTW IMO.

My launch phat was getting noiser so sold it last year just before the slim came out and bought a slim, still ultra quiet nearly 500 hours in!

Sell the old one on ebay and reduce the change over charge

Audi TT 225 Quattro
my original us 60g sounds like a trying to cool a room full of network servers ( its VERY LOUD ) but is still going strong so staying put for now. just means i have to turn up the amp a little higher to drown it out;). i will be getting a stand alone bluray player this year tho as that's the time when i notice it most while watching films, especially ones with alot of quite dialog....

Mk2 172
Yes slim is defo quieter!! It can get loud however but that can be solved with a reset and then goes quiet again :) They dont like being above my 1K Onkyo amplifier and my Sky HD box tho!! lol

a burnt one
The slim is quieter by a country mile mate, When my release date model packed in insurance paid out for a new one, which was slim, even after lots of game play when the fan kicks in it is barely audible.

This is the only plus side of the slim IMO, i see it as a dumbed down version.

a burnt one
Only has 2 USB ports and no memory card slots, i'm one of the geeks that did actually use all of those.

Also not compatible with the earlier playstation games.