ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PULSAR GTI-R SUPER BEAST

after he took me around some roundabouts a couple of weeks ago i would say he was a nutter.... but a very good and safe nutter at that :D

Gents.

I have bopth a Pulsar and a Stage 1 tuned Williams 1. The Pulsar (on standard suspension) pisses all over the Clio. Through the twisties it is a bit closer but the Pulsar still has the edge.

Stoneaged 4WD system ??? Try mechanical version of the skyline system!

Ive also been in a mates 172 and...no, it couldnt keep up with the evo, cossie, GTI-R, Scooby crowd. He can drive well and wouldnt even try. Now Im not saying that with some cash spent you could have an awsome Clio track weapon. But! Spend the same on a Pulsar and again itll be good bye Clio!

As I say. I own both cars and the Pulsar is the better performance machine but the Clio is cheaper to run and almost as much fun.

Not trying to start an argument, just thought you might like to hear from some one who has owned both cars for a few years.

Duncan

ps. The gear box CAN be weak although I know of a couple of 400bhp cars running the standard box. The engine internals are very strong! 500bhp on a standard crank?!? Also, understeer can be all but eliminated with a small chassis mod costing a few quid and isnt as bad as a high power fwd car.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Well said Duncan,

As for BenR - Youve never owned one, and clearly never driven one so instead of reading up all you can on the net or in mags, go out in one have a drive, then maybe youre harsh and unfair opinion may be considered/valued.

Also, the year it launched I think it was Autocar did a best handling car test and round Castle coombe the ONLY thing to beat the GTIR was a Honda NSX. I think the test included Cossies and Porsches IIRC. So the handlling cant be that bad.

Dunc

oh well, if 13 years of track experience is nothing compared to owning a GTiR then ill shut my gob and let the professionals get on with it.

No Ben, but with 13 years of track experience youd still have to have actually driven both cars, not just spout what youve read in Revs or Lax Power mags. My appologies if you have driven one in anger but from some of your comments it doesnt sound like you have. I am simply trying to help some one who has asked for advise. I feel I am well placed to give him this advice as I can jump from one to the other all day long if I like and KNOW the pros and cons of each vehicle having lived with them both at the same time. Yes a new clutch will cost about £700 ish to be fitted by a tuner but check BB tunings prices for the Clio! Look at the performance at track/drag days. The Pulsar is a very capable car as is the Clio all be it to a slightly lesser extent.

Duncan

Id like to add that my comments are meant to help Stupac and not change anyones mind/cause trouble. I hope everyone feels I have done this and havent offended anyone.

Dunc

CTR EK9 turbo

i think im right in thinking that 90% of people just want a car that acclerates like a bugger and toasts everything..........

To be fair a pulsar does a pretty good job at doing this, for bugger all £££££

My friend paid about £1k on mods and it was an animal.

Does it really matter if the chassis isnt as good as it could be? the purpose of the car is to accelerate like a beast for most people and leave others for dead, for much less £££££. If 12.54 quarter mile drag time is attainable with only £1000 worth of uprated turbo, filter and exhaust/decat for people that want to do this kinda thing, aka the guy who started this post, then its the car to get. I cant think of another car that costs the same, is as reliable, tunable etc. and i know for a fact that my friends one was driven possibly as hard as a car could be driven for its life......

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

sunny gtir will be my next car, had a friend of a friend buy 1 new from japan, had it imported and it took like 6 months, was brand new though, went like stink.

there was 1 on 5th gear, and the lad had spent loads on it, and vicki butler henderson raced him in a viper and he pissed on it.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

That was Danny Fennel - he used to run DD Autosports that tuned my 5 Turbo - he lives near me, but hed spent £25k on that Pulsar - was over 400bhp so pretty awesome machine!

The Pulsar is a great fun car to drive, and still a lot of people dont know what they are on the road so will still try and race you which is always entertaining!!!

I dont think its all about straight lines though, there arent many cars i have driven that would out perform the GTI-R on a roundabout/twisty section - with a few simple mods understeer is easy to get rid of, and you can really throw it into the bends, - my advice is if youre thinking about getting one - go and drive it, then you will know for sure.

Just reading all thread about Gti-rs

I have had a GTi-R for 5 years now, it is fully modified & trouble free.

The performance it delivers for the cash is amazing, it accelerates as fast in fourth gear as my 172 is in second gear.

The only advice i can give is dont buy sh*te, spend more money & get a genuine well sorted car. Dont buy the cheap rubbish that can be found in the trader.

Stupac if you want to know more about the GTi-R just drop me an email

mailto:jonchape@hotmail.com">jonchape@hotmail.com

I will tell you the pit falls of the GTi-R

if you saw the pulsar at pod that i think you saw, it will soon be running 11 second quarter miles,very quick it has nos.

CTR EK9 turbo

i think it belongs to a guy called ginga of http://www.gtiroc.comwww.gtiroc.com was getting 12.53 against my friends 12.54 - now he has cams but i think a standard turbo.....He was running 50 shot of nos at the jap day i think.....? also he was gutted that he got a 12.1.........

gosh, i must remember to stop by norris designs & tell them they are talkin b****cks !!! after all what do they know !! they only repair/moddify etc Evos, Nissans etc all day !!

malice.....it didnt piss all over the viper it won by about 2-3 car lengths.....in time thats about a couple of hundredths of a second id much rather have the viper...cant yer get one of them instead ? then you could return the favour & take me for a spin in it !! lol

& ben.....wtf are you doing mate.....you should know by now that its not worth helping or advising a few of the people on here coz it just causes Aggravation !!! esp when they insult you & then say they havent or didnt mean to !! best to keep quiet & chuckle to yourself ! remember chris ?? he was banned for giving his opinion !! (although i admit he had a funny way of giving it .....i.e insults mixed in)

Quote: Originally posted by jonathon555 on 18 October 2003

Just reading all thread about Gti-rs

I have had a GTi-R for 5 years now, it is fully modified & trouble free.

The performance it delivers for the cash is amazing, it accelerates as fast in fourth gear as my 172 is in second gear.

The only advice i can give is dont buy sh*te, spend more money & get a genuine well sorted car. Dont buy the cheap rubbish that can be found in the trader.

Stupac if you want to know more about the GTi-R just drop me an email

mailto:jonchape@hotmail.com">jonchape@hotmail.com

I will tell you the pit falls of the GTi-R
id give this guy a shout.............he sounds the most mature of the people that own/owned one ! ....malice perhaps you might wanna make a note of his e-mail addy too !

if anyone is interested in a white pulsar m reg low miles with a fully rebuilt engine (trust spec) rally spec ratio gearbox its very close !!!! light weight jap wheels i was out in it today and had a blast and its fuking quick unfortanly i cant comment on handling as its not my car so i was being careful. its got cuscos coilovers all round strut braces,and its mint any questions pm me thanks bondy

Quote: Originally posted by duncan on 16 October 2003

No Ben, but with 13 years of track experience youd still have to have actually driven both cars, not just spout what youve read in Revs or Lax Power mags. My appologies if you have driven one in anger but from some of your comments it doesnt sound like you have. I am simply trying to help some one who has asked for advise. I feel I am well placed to give him this advice as I can jump from one to the other all day long if I like and KNOW the pros and cons of each vehicle having lived with them both at the same time. Yes a new clutch will cost about £700 ish to be fitted by a tuner but check BB tunings prices for the Clio! Look at the performance at track/drag days. The Pulsar is a very capable car as is the Clio all be it to a slightly lesser extent.

Duncan
No offence taken.............its pretty hard to wind me up.........however, that MaxP and Revs comment almost did it ;)

And when your all talking comparative costs and mods its just not in the same league as an Evo or even admittedly a scooby although i do hate them, well, hate is too harsh a word. Suffice to say a Scoob is boring as sin driven smoothly and the only way to have fun in one is to throw it about from the scruff of its neck.

Much like the GTiR.

The point i was trying to get across is that the GTiR is not a natural drivers car,sure you can tweek and modify a whole host of suspension components and geometry settings, but you can do that with any car. As for the engine. ANy engine will start to fail when you start pushing more power through what the original parts were intended to do. Its not poor quality or deisgn, its just missing the ballpark design parameters.

As for driving one in anger......sure, id be angry........................that im not in my god damn caterham!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 October 2003

No offence taken.............its pretty hard to wind me up.........however, that MaxP and Revs comment almost did it ;)
Im sorry, that was below the belt!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 October 2003

As for driving one in anger......sure, id be angry........................that im not in my god damn caterham!

Cant argue with that mate. They are FUN! I dont mean to bite the bait but just wanted to give Stupac the benifit of my experiences. As mentioned, when you read through the specs of Cossies, scoobs, GTIRs, etc they are very similar (apart from cost) and all of them have problems (mention oil starvtion and big end bearings going bang to a Scooby driver and watch him break down in tears) but all must be treated as similar in terms of performance. And tuning potential of a turbo car is always higher per £ than a n/a car.

Glad I havent offended you though!

Cheers,

Duncan