ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put orginal airbox back

Im getting my 172 to the dealers next tuesday for the 2year check so I put the old airbox back on instead of my viper. Didnt remember how tight a fit the box is and it took me a little while since I had also removed the "mystery" valve.

So after the install I go out for a little spin to see if everything is in order and I was really stunned. Well ofcourse I first noticed that the induction roar was gone but when I put that to side the car is much more frisky. I really looked at the airbox and noticed something I wished i had noticed before: the airbox is really well designed and really no reason for replacing it. It has two inlets and the other one gets really nice cool air from the arch.

Why the hell did I spent well over 200 pounds for a viper and spent all this time fitting it properly when the standard airbox works like a charm????

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye Renault seemed to do a really good job with the standard airbox... best best is a replacement panel filter.

R

rich[182]

Svezel

Cheers for the info - you may well have saved me £100+

My induction mods are gonna be based arround the std airbox setup, Spoken to several owners in past 2 days who all said IKs are not what their cracked up to be, 3 of which have/are about to return to std airbox having spent £much on various IKs- Now you have prob swayed me.........

rich

no problem m8, but the IK sound is worth a lot though;)

How are you planing on modding the airbox? Going to thread a tube to the lower front grill?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Thats odd, because mine definately feels slower when I re-fit the standard one... :confused:

Weve also done some RR tests that show the Viper may not give huge peak gains, but the mid-range power & torque shows a nice improvement!

Mr2 Roadster

Put the 200 notes back in your pocket and then the choice is yours... Depends whether you like the induction roar or not... I like it but have put the original airbox back on as I prefer it to sound standard and it seems to feel smoother?!?!? (probably isnt smoother, just feels like it)

R

rich[182]

Svezel

Am removing std airbox and covering the bottom part of it with several layers of thick tin foil to reflect the heat (Robbed this idea from someone else who suggested it on here last week) Then re-fitting.

Fitting ITG panel filter

Replacing the restrictive rubber pipe which connects the std airbox to the engine side with Hillpowers silicon pipe, This pipe is 70mm end to end whereas the std pipe is ribbed in places and at some point reduces to 63mm

Removing the existing cold feed pipe and leaving it about 1" from the opening in the airbox which greatly increases induction roar (Robbed from CUP80Y)

Am installing a new 50mm flexible cold feed pipe from lower front grille to the entrance of the above left hole to aid cold supply but still leave hole to airbox might even try to get 2 new feeds up there

Hoping for better throttle response, Certainly will get more noise as Ive tried it and its miles louder than std, Its a compromise I know but should help breathing and the whole lot for a shade over £100

not sure what the 172s run, but paper filtration is by far the best

fitting aftermarket panel filters is all very well but the likes of k&n have very poor filtration and reduce engine life a fair bit!!

if the 172 runs a paper filter then id leave it be, the panel filter will see 1bhp if youre lucky, hardly worth it when u got 172 already :D

Like your plan rich172, please post a detailed description with pictures when youre done.

Where did you here that k&n have poor filtration jimbo? The tests Ive seen show that k&n filter just as well as standard and even better in some cases.

I run the Standard Airbox with a Green Panel Filter and the bigger Air intake pipe from Hill Power (fits between the Airbox and Throttle body). This makes the car more responsive / quicker with a bit more induction noise as well.

This weekend fitted the Ktec exhaust and the mods are able to deliver even more potential now.

I have been thinking of getting a remap as I do not want to change the ECU but will probably go for the Air intake feed pipe from hill power to get even more cold air into the standard air box. When I do this I will probably cover the engine side of the air box with silver foil to reflect any heat away from the air box.