ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Putting a clio back on the road after being stored away

I have been to see a 172 this weekend. It's in mint condition and I am interested, but has been sat In a garage for the last 6 months at least. If am to purchase what should I be looking to service/inspect on it straight away. I intend to do oils and filters. Plus the current owner already put a new battery in it for the test drive. After new battery it started first time and sounded sweet. We had to pump a tyre from totally flat before also.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

WRX
Probably not a lot to worry about if it's only about 6 months. A good service and it should be ok. If you've driven it and all seemed well then it probably is. Fluids and check brakes aren't seized would be about it.

133/225/CLS AMG
Not a Clio but my Megane 225 has sat for longer than 6 months at a time stored, only thing that needed doing was making sure the battery was properly charged. Started without hesitation.

Only thing I'd confirm is how it's been stored. The Megane is in a dry garage and covered up. I might be wairy of a car that's sat outside exposed for that much time but engine wise it should be fine from my experience. :)

Thanks for the input. It was kept in a garage. It has been sat for 6 months possibly longer. Brakes felt fine, so I am thinking after a service it should be sweet. Surprisingly it started fine first time with the new battery in!

WRX
Plenty of show cars sit doing nothing over winter. Then just get taxed for 6 months of slightly better weather use.

Suzuki Jimny
As said 6 months is nothing.

The fiesta i've got sat for nearly 3 years outside in the rain and snow and all it needed was a battery charge and 2x cracked tyres replacing. (And a bloody good clean!)

Thats good to know! Thanks for your input. Whilst its in good condition, it could also do with a bloody good clean to get rid of the dust. If i do go ahead i think I might be getting my mate to detail it. If I ask kindly.

Great thanks for that. That eliminates any doubt in my mind. Looking forward to possible new ownership!

RB 182 FF
Tyres and brakes firstly, check the history for belt changes at a reputable garage which I'm sure you have. Service it if needed, always nice putting your own good oil in these cars, oh and enjoy a great car! :D

Cheers ppl. Just been told seller is putting it through Mot this week so this should identify most issues. Yep ill give it an oil change etc as soon as i get it. Great cars. Loved my last 172. Im excited!