ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Q for those with de cats

I asked direct line they said they would not insure a decat as it would be illeagal to drive the car on the road.

172 cup'd extreme
it aint illegal to have a decat as long as the car can pass the emmisions test, on the 172 it gives good gains. mine passed the MOT recently with 5 litres of cool blue and a dose of fuel system cleaner in the tank.
My mate is a tester and we tested the emmisions before with bog standard petrol in and the results were very bad the CO, CO2 and hydrocarbon emmissions were tripple the maximum allowed

I've had my fingers burnt years ago with a MK1 Fiesta i shoehorned a 1.6 into. hard to swap the cat over if your in a hospital bed and your car is impounded! All very well if the car passes emissions but no cat is no cat surely?

Gilbert_Ratchet said:
I've had my fingers burnt years ago with a MK1 Fiesta i shoehorned a 1.6 into. hard to swap the cat over if your in a hospital bed and your car is impounded! All very well if the car passes emissions but no cat is no cat surely?

This is true - but the point is that you don't need one if you pass the emissions test!

S2000
I just sent a letter to my insurance saying I was fitting a cat back stainless steel exhaust and decat and I got an letter back saying that it was OK.

modified exhuast/manifold is the way to describe it, means you can modify exhuast as much as you like with no further premium increases

Just tell them you are fitting a sports exhaust system. Insurers know f**k all and getting too specific only confuses them. As long you've told them the exhaust is replaced with a perfromance item you're covered.

Insurers are thick I'm sure,but the engineers checking your written off motor over to get the insurance company out of paying out? Maybe be a bit more switched on?

"Loony" Is that your name? You don't fancy buying a reg plate do you?