ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Q on 172 Xenon head light

172 owners,

when u first turn on the headlight, it shows a blueish white light and then gradually changed to a yellowish light right?

I know its still pretty bright and quite white compare to cars with normal headlights, but compare to those Audis and BMWs our xenon light arent seem as blueish white.

Is there a thing we can adjust so the light stay blueish white?

320d M Sport

theyre still bloody blue tho! compare it to normal lights and youll see, german cars are stupid blue! they look like cop cars

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

It amazing the difference between a normal headlight and the xenon one, put the two cars side by side and the yellow light from the normal car is horrible, its great when you switch on the xenons.. really white light..

There are made by the same manufaturer as the german cars, Philips as are most other European car manufactures. The light is the same colour. When the french buy their 172s they are still the same xenons, apart from the lens which directs the lightto the road side.

If you have ever seen a Z8 at night then they have a really purple light (7000K), xenons are sandard at about 5000K+

I found that from behind the wheel, the light seems yellowish than white. Get out of the car and stand in front of the car, then its bluey white. Put the main beams on and you can definitely see the difference.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

they were somthing like 70 quid each.. but the bulbs are garanteed for 5 years .. IIRC

Anyone replaced the 172 (2002) front fog light bulb?

I went to halfords and they dont stock it.. seems to be a part you have to get from the dealer!!.. so they can charge what they want...

I also need the glass for the other side as a stone kindly went through it!! Renault want £50 for that!.. Any ideas on a decent Renault parts place??

Stuman, is it H7 or one of those right-angled bulbs HB3/4, either way go to powerbulbs. Check your manual

Cheeky_Chappie, go to powerbulbs they stock the Philips Xenon bulbs for about £90 each (ouch)

Dogmaul, The whole light cluster is £200 not the bulb

u can change the bulbs, no idea what type though.

undo the star screws and the mount comes out / twist the back and this then reveals the bulbs

The Mk2 172 has no screws though. The bulbs are probably the same as the MK1 172 it sounds like its those HB3 or HB4 bulbs that twist rather than those clips.

RT-ED, it is one of those right angle bulbs, they had a few in Halfords but the plug end seems to be non-standard.. The one on the car says H11, but couldnt find one... I checked out Powerbulbs before i went down to the shops, ill email them to see if they have the one i want.

The Xenons are the D2S/D2R and you high beam and fog lights are HB3/4. Powerbulbs do supply Blue Vision HB3/4s but dooble check which it is HB3 or HB4.

Powerbulbs call it the 9005 or 9006

Cheers rt-ed, I have emailed powerbulbs to confirm which one i require.. I suspect they do the same fitting as the ones i have already seen. Just spoke to my local renault garage and they have bulbs in stock for about £14-£15..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by RT-ED on 30 April 2003

The Mk2 172 has no screws though. The bulbs are probably the same as the MK1 172 it sounds like its those HB3 or HB4 bulbs that twist rather than those clips.
the plastic surround around the fog light just unclips.. it sort slides out diagonally forward, I know this not because I have had to replace a bulb but when my car came back after a respray the plastic surround handnt been put back in properly and wouldave fallen out if my GF didnt notice it.