ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

question about booting it

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

ok, lets say youre cruising along at 60km/h (37mph) in 4th and you wanna boot it for whatever reason.

Do you drop into 3rd and boot?

Do you drop into 3rd, then 2nd then boot?

Do you drop into 2nd then boot?

Im just asking because if i drop from 4th to 3rd at that speed and boot it, Im not very impressed.

drop to second, take it til the change light comes on then hit third, there arent many better backroad overtaking tools at a reasonable price that even come close in my experience.

why would you go 4th, 3rd, 2nd??!

Subaru WRX

Drop it in to 2nd plant your right foot and wait for the change light and watch everything dissapear behind you !!! :D

190 BHP Willy 2

drop it in 2nd that way youll be level when you hook up third, when you pull in you will have 4th. will almost feel like youve got a 6th coz u still have a spare gear (5th) to pull away in when you have completed the overtake.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Pugboy on 06 February 2003

drop to second, take it til the change light comes on then hit third, there arent many better backroad overtaking tools at a reasonable price that even come close in my experience.

Easier on the gearbox

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Pugboy on 06 February 2003

Im assuming you blip the throttle before engaging 2nd?

Yeah course you do... give it some revs.... if i were flooring it i would have the gas on while the cluch was down, into second and drop it take off!!

Chaning down gear will always cause wear on gearboxes, theyre not supposed to live forever. Blipping the throttle before changing down to keep the revs balanced will reduce wear.

Just flooring it wears your gearbox.... slight wheel spin any thing... your have to be a granny to not wear it prematurely. End of the day I have never f**ked a gear box and i drive like a c**t....

CTR EK9 turbo

Id probably go for 2nd, -but- it depends on the load youve got in your car. You need to think about if youre carrying loads passengers and fuel etc. If you ARENT carrying weight then how about trying 3rd - you wont have to waste time chaning from 2nd to 3rd and the other guy may have got away first but youll probably catch up and overtake when hes changing from 2nd to 3rd? also the induction roar sounds better from lower revs under load."dddddddddddrrrrrr"

Probably best to grab 2nd tho if you want the fastest accel.....

It all to do with the revs really. Get the best power for the speed. If you change from 4th to 3rd at 37mph then youre going to end up at around 3500rpms (complete guess), but if you drop to 2nd youll hit the magic 5000rpms (another guess) and thats where the big power band is.