ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about Strut top nut

CLS, RS MEG
Can i remove this bolt whilst the car is on the ground? Reason being i need a part number for the bearing below the rubber.

S7304544.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yup, infact it's better to as that way it has less pressure on it.

There is a compression nut below it anyway, so the spring won't be released.

The top donut is one piece though, nut and rubber.

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
My friend has fitted the yozzasport washers that go under the pictured strut top , to stop the banging noise on full lock
do alot of people run theses washers?
because when it went in to the garage the mechanic said when the car is off the floor there is alot of play up and down now in the front strut and it could be a MOT failure?

Lionel Richie
correct, if you read the information about them (that some clever bloke called Fred wrote ;)) it does say you should remove them come MOT time as it can be seen by MOT testers to cause play with the wheels off the ground, bit daft as i'm not sure when a road car, on the road will ever be driving with its wheels off the ground LOL

CLS, RS MEG
I was told there is excessive play in the bearing. THe rubber top piece visable has a part number on it, i am trying to take that off to find the bearing. Or am i being stupid and the whole black rubber piece includes the bearing? :S

Lionel Richie
bearing is under the rubber, so you're wasting your time, strut will have to come off and there is no part number on the bearing or the rubber top mount! pm maynard, order 2 new top mounts and chuck them on - done

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
correct, if you read the information about them (that some clever bloke called Fred wrote ;)) it does say you should remove them come MOT time as it can be seen by MOT testers to cause play with the wheels off the ground, bit daft as i'm not sure when a road car, on the road will ever be driving with its wheels off the ground LOL

Tell Fred thanks ;)

CLS, RS MEG
SH*T the allen key has just snapped off and is now stuck in the top of the strut :-( SO much for trying to do things myself and save money.

CLS, RS MEG
Drill it out you think? Would removing the strut leg effect the geometry/ tracking of the wheels? In which case i may aswel get a garage to do the work.

CLS, RS MEG
PM'd him mate, just waiting for a reply. Can i remove that top nut despite the allen key slot being useless? I.e just keep turning anti-clockwise, or will it muck the shock up? My spring has snapped so i need to change that, and the mount