ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

question on engine mount

clio 172 mk2
hi guys i seem to be having a problem under hard acceleration in first gear i am getting a seirous machine gun sounding knock, i read and believed that it was probably my gear box mount even though that was busted and i changed today the machine gun knock is still there i doubt its the dog bone mount as that is a powerflex one that i put on recently as well

could it be the one at the top right hand side that is most visible when u pop the engine hood would that also cause a machine gun knocking sound under hard acceleration or should i start worrying that something else is causing it

thanks for all the help u guys can offer
regards
kyle

ph1 172 Black
Check the one under the battery hasn't split and that the mounts are adjusted properly.

You should have the engine pulled as far forward as possible. All you need to do is loose the two bolts surrounding the mount and pull engine towards you and then tighten up.

If that don't work try the passenger side one a make sure that is pulled all the way forward. It only moves a couple of mill and you'll have undo four bolts but it all helps.

clio 172 mk2
kool thanks well the gearbox mount was the one i was referring to under the battery and the passenger one i believe is the one that is visible from on the top i know this may sound like a stupid follow up question but is there a machine to pull the engine as far forward as possible or do u do this with strength and have a couple buds try to yank it forward?

cause i didnt pull the engine forward i just changed the mount but i thought the other mount on top was busted the passenger one
thanks for ur reply

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Right there is a big stud that goes thought that gearbox mount was it loose?
Another thing i did on mine was place 2 washers under the mount to raise it up a bit thus raising the engine/gearbox. sometime the manifold can catch the subframe this washers raised that up as well.

ph1 172 Black
If your on your own use a bar if not one mate should be able to pull the engine or at least rock it. It will move.

There is another gearbox mount under it and I wasn't sure if you meant that or not. The washers do work if the mounts are sagging.

Mind I thought I'd sorted mine but the noise is coming back!

RS RIP
This Clio problem AAAAAARrrggghh ! :mad:

As lots of you , i have the same but am learning to live with it haha.

Have you read the "sticky" ?

My mechanic is going to try something new with mine, He's going to attach a second mount to this gearbox-mount. I've read about this before, it's used on the sport clio's. It's supposed to almost stop rocking the engine from rocking back and forth...

clio 172 mk2
i dont know but icant live with it it sounds as if something is terribly wrong and it affects performance through the engine not being set to accelerate its pissing me off acutally imma gonna try to pull the engine and also change the top engine mount that is most visible when you pop the hood and hope and pray this takes care of the problem in the sport clios there are two gearbox mounts i thought the engine only came with three mounts the dog bone the one under the battery and the one on the right hand side when u sit in the car that is most visible from the top is there any others apart from those

RS RIP
doubt its the dog bone mount as that is a powerflex one that i put on recently as well

---- i've read on here that when you're changing this one with the stiffer/harder powerflex one, it will put more stress on the other mounts. This is your problem i think

clio 172 mk2
well i read that too but i have had the car for over 5 years coming on 6 and i now put the powerflex on a couple months back so i know the other ones are due for change but good news i got a partner to help out tonite while i toe and heeled while feeding in power and the mount started to go off like crazy its the top one i thought it was s**t was jumping up and down and around like crazy i presume the rubber is completely gone but i kno what needs changing now thanks alot guys an thanks for the pic cause its good insight whats the price of that top mount?

clio 172 mk2
an interesting question though does any company supply poly mounts for these parts apart from the dog bone what about the suspentions mounts and the mount under the battery and this one on top any company supplies the poly version for it?