ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question on Sub & Amps

Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Ok im completely new to Car Audio so im going to need some help. ;)

I want to install a Sub, Front and Rear Speakers for my Clio (Extreme 02). So im guessing I should have one Amp for the Sub and one Amp to run the speakers?

How would I go about wiring up 2 Amps to my battery. Ive read things on here but im not sure.

Im not sure if this is correct but could I have a power cable from my battery then into a "Distribution Block" then wire both Amps into that block or is that complete s**t lol I dont know.

Ive heard about Cross Overs but im clueless about that too.

If someone could explain roughly what I would need to do I would appreciate it. :D

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
hiya mate welcome to car audio.

Firts off there are many ways to do what you are trying to achieve.

Using One Amp
You could buy a 5 channel Amp, run your front speakers off channel 1 and 2, your rear speakers off channel 3 and 4 and then use channel 5 for your sub.

or

You could buy a 6 channel Amp, run your front speakers off channel 1 and 2, your rear speakers off channel 3 and 4 and then bridge channel 5 & 6 for your sub.

Using Two Amps

For example, you could have a 4 channel amp powering your speaker, and a monoblock (single channel) amplifier powering your sub.

The best way to do this is run your power wire as you would normally, and wire it into a 1 into 2 Distribution block. You can then run each of your amps off the distribution block. You can use the same method to earth your amps too. Have your amps earths going to a 1-2 distribution block and then to your earthing point. As a rule i try to use a minimum of 4 gauge power wire.

However, If i was you i wouldnt bother with rear speakers they ar esimply not needed in such a small car and will just eat up your budget. Speakers in the rear will drag soundstage back, and as a result make the whole system "sound" quieter. Less is more in this case. However its upto you just dont think you have to fill every hole with a speaker. A decent set of front speakers will EASILY fill a clio with sound.

Crossovers:

These come with your componant set. A componant set consists of a pair of tweeters a pair of woofers and a passive crossover. The Crossover simply filters signals after they have been amplified. Each crossover will have 6 terminals:

Power Postive
Power Negative

Woofer Positive
Woofer Negative

Tweeter Positive
Tweeter Negative.

To wire them up is common sense really. The amplifier goes to the "power terminal" etc etc.

Hope i helped

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The easiest way would be definately a 5/6 channel amp though, and if you spend the money you'd spend on 2 amps on a decent 5/6 channel it will sound pretty ace. This is how mines setup. And like said the 6x9s I've got only really put some high toward the back of the car, the bass from them is drowned out by the sub. I'd say a sub and a decent component kit in the front would have you laughing, and that would only need a 3/4channel amp, so it'd be a bargain.

Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Ok.

So if i went with the 3/4 channel Amp. What wattage should I be looking at to hold a decent Sub and a decent Componant Kit??

Mustang, S13, AX GT
  Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Ok cool. If anyone else could post up ideas like Kneel's it would be a great help for me. Thanks

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
crazy_clio is prob the best bet, seems very knowlageble on Car audio, i no alot about bass ie spl but not alot about sq (sound quality)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
saying that fusion are doing a great whole kit that inclues everything you need like its about 300

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Storma mate whast your budget, on a tight budget I've gta agree with the system above though, maybe usea JBL GTO 12" sub, very cheap @ £50, And ive heard quite a few and they impressed metbh, not heard the Fli sub personally, that could be very good too. Id maybe look at some infinity comps over the vibes however.

Gvie me a budget and ill try to recomend you some stuff.

Also what sort of music do you listen too?

Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Erm for now I have a budget of around £300 or so as im off on holiday in 2weeks :cool:

I listen to mainly Rnb & Hip Hop, but also some Old Skool Garage now and then. Im just after a nice setup that sounds good. Im not looking to go crazy with like 2/3 subs etc lol, just something that has bass and sounds clear.

RB 182
im in pretty much the same situation, i take it you have a HU? im currently looking for a sub and amp as well but i have already got the HU front components and some rear speakers.
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=21513
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=20266
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=21525

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the sub and amp and also if i could wire the front components to the HU and the rear to an amp?? o and probably max 230 for the sub n amp
Sorry to kind of hijack thread but i tried posting and didnt really get n e where:approve: Thanks rob

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi Rob22: I see you have already purchased rear speakers, personally I wouldnt use them, but here iswhat i would do:

Get a 4 channel amp run your Front componants off channels 1 and 2, and bridge channels 3 and 4 to your sub.

I think you could get a JBL 75.4 and a JBL GTO 12" sub for around £180.

Heres the amp:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4140

Heres the sub:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4235

You would then have enough money left for an enclosure.

I see you like alpine, you could go for an Alpine amp and a type S sub, but you would be paying slightly over budget i would imagine. Off the top of my head i dont know any model numbers for an amp.

Your rear speakers would be fine running off your Head unit TBH, if you are adament on amping them, you could go fora JBL 6 Channel amp, your Front componants off channels 1 and 2, Run your rear co-axials off channels 3 and 4 and bridge channels 5 and 6 to your sub. Again this could be done under your budget, But you may want to stay "brand loyal" to alpine.

Storma: Hope you have a good holiday, but like said do you already have the head unit?

Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Yeh i already have my HU. I have a pioneer DEH 6800MP.

Thanks dude, well its not so much a holiday but my 2nd home as my mum lives in Spain.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
LOL its like owning an audio shop here lol.

First off Rob22: That sub you suggested would be fine but is a 10" version, I personally find that budget 10s dont have the ability to drop as low as i like. Id go for a 12". You do realise both of you are going to have to budget in for a wiring kit of some description which cost around £30ish. However this amp would do the job Rob, not cheap however:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3387.html

I've recently done an install for a MG ZR using ALL alpine gear, I used that amplifier to power 2 sets of door speakers, and was very impressed with the build quality. It is however quite pricey.

Storma: Basically here what you are going to need with a budget of £300:

A Subwoofer
An Amplifier (4 channel or you could go for a dedicated bass amp so 2 amps)
Front Door Speakers
Wiring Kit
Enclosure

Id budget around £70 for wire and an enclosure (Thats bearing in mind that you buy an off the shelf box and not make your own). So this leaves £230.

For an amp id go for a JBL 75.4 Amplifier for £100. This is capabel of powering both your front door speakers and your sub.

Id then spend about £70 on a pair of front componants, that leaves you £60 for a sub woofer. Theres not alot between the JBL GTO12, and Fli, Infinity reference or Alpine Type E. Personally Ive only experienced the JBL GTO 12 and was quite impressed with what it does for the price, And im used to my set up with £1k amps and £400+ subs.

Good thing with JBL is, when you get some more cash, if you want to you can easily buy another JBL sub for £50, and power it with your 75.4, then buy a 75.2 for about £70 for your comps. You would then have 2 12's with almost 300wrms each, and whatever anyone says, it cannot fail to be loud. You would have spent maybe £450 and you have got 2 amps, 2 subs and aset of comps, all wired up. Bargain if you ask me!

IF you are intending "doubling up" id go for at least a 4 gauge wiring kit. hope i helped any more Q's just post em and I'll try and help

RB 182
right o think i might go with what u sed then :) bit pricey but meh. 1 question acutally 2 is the RMS ok for the sub (im guessing so b cos you no alot more than me) and what guage wiring kit? cheers for all the help. Rob

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
taylor said:
your all SQ fairys bah

just cause i recomend it dont mean i am ;) Im looking at 4 PBX 12's and a XA3000D. More street bass than SPL however im not interested in playing burrps.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Rob sorry im a little confused, what set up are you going for? the Alpine MRV F345? That puts 300wrms to the bridged channel, Off the top of my head the 10" would be about 250wrms (ive never used 10's, so dont know a huge amount about them) In which case you "should" be ok, but its probably best not to risk it. Can you budget for the 12" version? It would play very nicely with 300wrms to it?

4 Gauge wiring TBH

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Crazy Clio said:
just cause i recomend it dont mean i am ;) Im looking at 4 PBX 12's and a XA3000D. More street bass than SPL however im not interested in playing burrps.

burping is for winners, im a newbi to it all tbh learning what i can off Gord but ill be honest im never going to beat him lol

my 1st reaction was that it was really pointless but now im kind of addicted but cant work out why.

tbh my system plays music too

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
i would like to play a few test tones to get a reading on my system, but there are some cars that i just think are daft. Theres some on TA that dont have steering wheels!

I admire the skill required, what with enclosure volumes, porting, tuning, power supply set up etc etc, But id rather pump all that knowledge into a streetbass system, thats 5-7db quietter but sounds awesome playing regular music.

However i have yet to compete in a "sound off" so I havent bit the bug yet so to speak.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2637.html

Theres awiring kit Rob.

RB 182
Right o, ye i think i probably will get the 12 running off the MRV F345 bridged and running the front components. Then wack on the back speakers to the HU. 1 last question the subs are 1244 or 1242.. im guessing its the Ohms or something? if so which do i need if it makes any difference . Thanks very much for all the help much appreciated.
Rob

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
basically they are both dual voicecoil subs, when bridged channels 3 and 4 wil give you 300wrms @ 4 ohm i believe so you will need to get the dual 2 ohm version, and wire it like this (looks complicated, your manual you get with the sub will show you)

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

So you need the part number that designates a dual 2 ohm sub.

Other than that all you will need is maybe another RCA as the wiring kit only comes with one.