ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

question Re Oil - silkolene R

i got some 15W-50 synthetic oil as reccomended in another thread, to put in my clio williams :-

my question is:-

is it best i drain the existing oil and use just just this, or should i just add it to the oil thats there ? (i dont know what the existing oil is, as i just got the car, *possibly* gtx magnatec)

and the oil gauge is nearly on the low mark...............does it matter if the oils are different types/ratings and they mix ?

[Edited by PoPe SmOkE on 31 July 2004 at 7:41pm]

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

In a nutshell mixing old and dirty oil with new isnt good. Our cars need a change every 6k at the most, some chaneg a lot more often. Id stick some engine flush additive in like forte or something and then drain and put your new silkolene in and new filter.

is there a thread on how to drain existing oil, if there is i couldnt find it and i dont have a haynes manual, anyone can help with what to do ?

how hard is it to do, or i might just take it 2 the garage ?

car is clio williams.

Skoda Fabia vRS

good choice on the oil, if its low at the moment then its fine to add a little of the Silkolene to get the level back up

jus do the change as soon as you can, but there is no adverse affects to adding a little bit of that oil to get the level up

it will always be better to give it a full oil change, including filter !.........if you buy the filter from Renault then get a new sump nut washer aswell there only 10p an in some cases they will jus give you one for free

hang on, when my m8 brought it home, he actually got Mobile 1 15-50w motorcycle oil, can i use this in my car, i tried to educate him with these cars but...........lol......

Brun reccomend this silkolene oil to me before and its superb - I let Renault put their own oil in for the last service and the engine is noticebly noisier - not sure if thats to do with the Oil or not.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by PoPe SmOkE on 01 August 2004

hang on, when my m8 brought it home, he actually got Mobile 1 15-50w motorcycle oil, can i use this in my car, i tried to educate him with these cars but...........lol......
are you sure it was Motorcycle oil and not Motorsport ?

as there is a 15W-50 version of Mobil 1 called Motorsport

i asked him to get me the silkolene, and as my 1st post shows thats what he told me he got on the mobile..........

when he got back and gave me the oil it was :-

Mobile 1, 15w-50 racing 4T , fully synthetic motorcycle motor oil (1 litr @£12 )

on the back it says 100% synthetic race proven oil, reccomended for all on and off road 4-strokes.

he says its the same stuff, ie 15w-50 and to just pour it in with my existing oil, dont know what brand that is, possibly gtx magnatec.

the car will have a full service in 500-1000 miles time anyway.(with the silkolene in !)

what do you reckon ? to use it or not ?