ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick bearing question.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I have replaced both front hub bearings within 2 before, sounds like a standard time for a garage though.

All the job is> 4 wheel nuts off>30mm hub nut off>two 17mm hub to stut nuts off,split trackrod from hub, undo two BJ to wishbone nuts.

Then that the hub off, take out circlip, press bearing out, press new one in, then reverse of the above.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Ah okey dokey. Thanks for that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting stuffed with labour charges.

Cheers! :D

Edit: That's two bloody bearings done in four weeks. Darn Renaults. lol

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
I have replaced both front hub bearings within 2 before, sounds like a standard time for a garage though.

All the job is> 4 wheel nuts off>30mm hub nut off>two 17mm hub to stut nuts off,split ball joint from hub.

Then that the hub off, take out circlip, press bearing out, press new one in, then reverse of the above.

balljoints before struts.. :)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
£70 - £110 is about the right price range dependent on location normally.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

All the job is> 4 wheel nuts off>30mm hub nut off>two 17mm hub to stut nuts off,split ball joint from hub.

balljoints before struts.. :)

Indeed, i ment trackrod, my mistake, i dont split it from the hub tbh, i undo the two nuts on the wishbone and keep the BJ in place.

6qt6.jpg

like so

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
My garage charges £48.00 +VAT per hour. Then of course there is the cost of the bearing, which shouldn't be much more than £30 or so plus VAT. I seem to be throwing money at my garage big time at the moment. It's one thing after another. I've got two more coils to be replaced soon too. I think I'll do that myself this time.

Edit: A few years ago I would have done the darn bearings myself, but I'm no longer fit enough to be tinkering with cars anymore. I might just as well open an account with my garage at this rate! lol

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Whoa, thats a bit much in my eyes, thats just under £150 for a bearing, have you tried quotes from other garages?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I'm expecting a bill of around £200 ish as they are doing my tracking as well.

I really do hate the fact that I can't do the work anymore as it's costing me loads. I know Renaults can cost abit , but bloody hell!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
cost me a packet when i put my car into renault for a bearing.. (i thought it was the bearings on the driveshaft cos the bearing was only 18months old)

somehow it needed a new hub too! (aye right, conning bastids!)

I'd have done it myself but i never had the time!

You need a press for the fronts iirc.

I did my rear bearings afew weeks ago, but they were and absolute b*****d to get out with a hammer and 30mm socket, that took about 2hrs of battering!

Rear bearings were £23 + vat.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
i just had mine done was an hours labour plus 28 pound for the wheel bearing

Bloody hell Mikey, where did you take yours?

I didn't get the £200+ bill I was expecting. They charged me £144.19 all in.

The horrible bit about it is, the front is now sweet, but I swear something else is singing, sounds like a bearing but it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the car rather than either side. Drive shaft bearing do you think? It's begining to do my bloody head in. That's two front bearings in four weeks! Aaaaargh!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
2 Hours todo 1 front wheel bearing?

Yep! Although it appears this time they have only charged for 1 hour 30 minutes and they checked the tracking too. The other garages we rang also said it would take 2 hours. I have never changed a front wheel bearing so I don't know what's involved.

I am a tad worried now though. The front wheel bearings seem fine now, but I still have a rather supsicious bearing type noise going on. It obviously can't be the fronts as both have been replaced, but the noise doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear, infact it sounds more central. I had considered a drive shaft bearing, but Mikey has put my mind to rest on that one. The only other things I can think it could possibly be are, either a water pump or alternator bearing. I am going to go out in abit to see if it does it when she is just stationary. Darn thing is driving me nuts now!!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Update:

I went out to listen to my car whilst stationary, no noise. I then decided to take Dunc out with me to see if he could track it down. At first he wasn't sure where it was coming from, but as we drove further and up the bypass it got pretty darn loud. We finally decided it's coming from the o/s rear wheel. Took her home and have just felt both hubs, n/s is quite cool but o/s is rather warm to say the least. This means another darn bearing needs replacing.

Does anyone know if three bearings going within a month is quite normal for a Clio? My car has done 16820 miles. Should I get both rears done and get it over with? Talk about becoming very bloody costly.