ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick help needed - front disc change

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
A is it a T30 or T40 holding the disc on? Mine seem stuck, is there a good way to free them up.

Do I need to take the 28mm(?) bolt out the centre? or will they just come off with the torque bolts?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Its a T40 mate, dont touch the hub nut if ur doing the front ones.

if the T40 bolts r stuck u really need an impact hammer which most people havent got, so u would use a hammer and punch/chisel

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
i have an impact driver but dont have the right fitting, will see if I can buy one

1998 BMW e46 323i
They are the most annoying bolts in the world. I gave up and went to a local garage, eastern european determination saved the day. I'd broken my torx bits, so he broke his own before using a hammer and small screwdriver to chisel them round. Best £30 I've spent in a long time. Do you have a G clamp to compress pistons? If not use a big bar/screwdriver to lever them away from the disc before you remove the caliper. The guy who did mine was my new best friend.

Hope you manage.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
nope stripped the bolt completely now, will most likely need drilled out.

Gutted, might have to try the chissle method.

M235i / 172
Countersunk bolts grip in very well, due to the big surface area of the countersink.... Before you attempt to undo them you should always give them a good smack with a brass/ali drift and a hammer, it just helps to break the hold.

And with torx bits, you shouldnt really use a impact gun tbh, rounds them really easy, after a good tap like mentioned above they souldnt be to tight, just get on them with a 1/2" bar keeping the bit pressed in tight with one hand so it doesnt slip out and round.

Now, uve already rounded it totally.... so get a center punch, make sure its got a good point on it (dont use a screw driver please!) Knock the punch into the bolt and just try and tap it around, U wont have any easy outs and short or drilling it out, thats all you can do really.. good luck!

LY 182
i always round the f*****s especially if someones had a go at them before. its dead easy to chisel them off though nice sharp chisel and a hammer one whack

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
from which direction and what type of chissle?

Will do this tuesday.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i dont understand how people round them off, all u need is a 3/4" imapct hammer and 3/4" t40 bit. no matter how tight they r they will come off with ease