ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question about mapping an ECU

Clio 1970000000
My mechanic introduced me to a friend of his tonight who maps ECUs. He said that he could map my car and I would see an improvement on just the map alone. He will add another map to my ECU and I could try it for a week to see what I thought and if I was not happy I could always switch back to standard.

I have never had a car mapped before and am a bit skeptical about mapping a car without doing other mods that compliment it (ie. filter and zorst).

If I went ahead what, if any, gains would I see? Is there any danger to the engine of having it mapped and would there be a bhp increase or is it just the driveability that would change?

Last question, some threads mention the 197 having more than 1 map already (cold engine, hot engine), what would happen here? Would both maps change.

Thanks

The RSTuner map is your safest bet, who does your friend work for, I would be very careful and I've mapped all the cars i've owned.
You will not see massive gains on the 197, maybe 5bhp and a bit more torque, the mid range pickup will be more lively.
Beware of non proven maps.

Last edited:
  Clio 1970000000
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure who the mapper works for but my mechanic is a wizard with cars and if he says the mapper is good, I believe him.

In the end though, I doubt I will have this done.

Clio 1970000000
BTW, what is the RSTuner map? Is is a physical chip or a map that gets loaded onto your existing ecu?

Also is it worth having on its own and what are its all round abilities (ie. performance fuel economy etc)

Sorry for all the questions :eek:

Search for RS Tuner, loads of info on here, you upload a map through a laptop and a device that connects to the ODB2 connection on the Clio, the 197 has specific instructions for upload though, well worth the £150.