ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

quick question

none :(
i know this is probably really simple question but just wanted to make sure.#

missus is getting a new iphone today, i will sync her old iphone today so that itunes is up to date.
now to update her new phone with contacts, pictures, songs, videos etc is it just a case of plugging the new iphone into itunes and syncing once again, will this then copy all her pics, contacts etc.

i take it for a factory reset of her old iphone, i can just do this via the hand set once the new phone has been updated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bus w**ker
Sync and perform a manual backup. Then when you get the new iPhone plug it in and restore it using the backup you made. Should put everything back to how it was on her old phone.

Personally I'd put the old phone in to DFU and restore it back to a vanilla 6.1 install, but yeah you can use the reset phone function in Settings.

none :(
What's a DFU lol, I'm not too clued up on this. When I plug the old phone in wil it give me an option to do a manual back up or will it automatically back up to iCloud

Bus w**ker
DFU = Device Firmware Upgrade. It's basically the iPhone state prior to booting up.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/

If the phone is set to use iCloud it will be automatically backing up there everytime it's on wifi and connected to a power source, but if you plug it in to your computer and open iTunes you can right click the iPhone icon in the left pane and select to manually backup there. You can then either restore the new iPhone from the latest backup on iCloud or the one you've made in iTunes.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
LOL @ massively over complicating things. Backup and restore using itunes like you have said, Icloud's even easier as no need to faff about with Itunes but either will restore everything. Old phone, settings, reset. Job done. Why someone suggested using DFU for Vanilla restore I don't know, pointless over complicating a very simple task!

Bus w**ker
Yeah, holding down two buttons is so complicated. You should have seen the problems typing this response has caused me.

DFU stops bootloader, so you're guaranteed to get a clean vanilla install - you cannot guarantee that with the reset function as it actually boots iOS to carry out the process. This is my reasoning for personally (as you appear to have missed that point) always using DFU when upgrading.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I've messed my iTunes up. I selected encrypt back up before on iTunes when phone was plugged in. I unchecked the tick box before and it asked for a password. I never set a password for the backup.
So it's stuck encrypted now, so when I get my new iPhone later this year I won't be able to restore backup from old phone (4s)

I tried searching on apple forums before and a few people had this issue too. Read somewhere its a fault on iTunes how it doesn't ask to create a password for encrypt sometimes.

So Ye. Don't click encrypt backup. Wouldn't risk it