ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

quick speaker placement opinion

E87 118i
ok, what would sound better:

scenario - aftermarket HU with amped front components:

option 1. unamped 5" co-axial speakers in rear quater "door" locations
option 2. 6x9's in mdf parcel shelf (unamped)
option 3. 6.5" co-axial in mdf parcel shelf (umamped)
option 4. 4" or 3.5" co-axial unamped on sides of parcel shelf (that plastic bit with a grill)

1967 Classic Mini
they will all sound very similar, try and find a mid range driver to house in those locations, component set without tweeter installed, this will produce a much more balanced sound than having high pitched frequencies coming from the rear

E87 118i
makes sense - can you get such a thing ? or would you just use a comp and leav out the tweeter ??

1967 Classic Mini
you can get mid drivers, jl do them, as do boston, however a driver from a component set will do the same job

you can also but they genesis mid driver from their p13 component set on it's own, which is a good driver

E87 118i
EvilJohn said:
If you have a sub (which iirc you do) then dont put anything on the parcel shelf unless you box them in, therfore option1

subs on the way out :(

yeah like john said, if u have a sub (even if it is on its way out coz i take it u will be replacing it ?) then dont touch the parcel shelf.

if u dont ever take rear passengers mate then the mid driver is a good idea... otherwise i would stick to just coaxials. i have amped front components, sub in boot and coaxials in the rear and it sounds wicked in the front and back, however my rears are also amped.

E87 118i
hhmmmm.......looks like I won't have the sub at all. So thought I would then connect my 2ch amp to the front comps - and was just wondering if anything would help the sound in the car.

what about if I use the standard comps and leave out the tweeter and fit them in the back - will it still isolate the mid and leave out the highs ?