ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick surround sound question

Moving in to our new house in a month or so and before all the carpets are laid etc I want to get the speaker wires in.

Here is my noob question...

Should the Sub be in an particular place? If I have it by the TV it will be right on the neighbours wall, but if I had it opposite the TV and by the sofa it would be on an external wall.

1. Will this make the sound any different - I presume not due to the way Bass works
2. Will it be more likely not to be heard next door if I did have a Top Gun moment of loudness if its on the outer wall?

All rooms have a sweet spot where a sub works best but it depends on the furnishings etc as well as room shape, so it's best guess really at this stage.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
bass is non directional so it doesnt really matter "to a point" ideally it should be between the left and right speakers to your front and no more than 0.5m closer than those speakers... but tbh unless your an audiophile you aint gonna notice.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Apparently, put the sub in centre of your room. Play music or a boomy film on quite loud, walk around the room until the bass sounds best. And where ever you decide it sounds best is the ideal place to position your subwoofer

In some cases this might not be a conveniant space but it's worth a try just incase it sounds good near a corner or something

Apparently, put the sub in centre of your room. Play music or a boomy film on quite loud, walk around the room until the bass sounds best. And where ever you decide it sounds best is the ideal place to position your subwoofer

In some cases this might not be a conveniant space but it's worth a try just incase it sounds good near a corner or something

This is correct except put the sub where you sit.

Bass is non directional however most subs actually work slightly above the none directional frequencies, so sub position becomes important.

TBH I never stick to the above and just put it where it suits, though my home (well garage now...) sub is designed to go in a corner anyway.