ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surround Sound Advice

M2 Comp
Hi guys,

I'm going to look at purchasing a surround sound system in the New Year, but to be honest I don't have a clue when it comes to this kind of thing so looking for some advice :)

Budget wise, I don't want to go crazy, but at the same time I want something decent that will last a good few years.

First thing I've been looking at is an AV Receiver. This one in particular has caught my eye:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/teac/agd200/teac-agd200

I understand that Teac have links with Onkyo. In fact, the above appears almost identical to this, difference being that one is around £150 dearer.

Would the above be a good buy? If not, what do people recommend?

Initially, I would like to get some floorstanding speakers and maybe a sub. But not sure which ones to get so any recommendations here appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help

2014 Focus Titanium
What's your budget mate? You really do need to have a figure in mind in my opinion.

I've never listened to a Teac AVR, so I would google some reviews if you could. However, on paper those specs look fantastic for £100, normally you'd be paying £200+ for Dolby PL IIz and 7 x 100w channels.

Do you mainly want it for watching movies, playing music, or both? Consider exactly what you want because if you never watch movies but love music then a stereo amp + 2 floor standers would produce great sound for a much smaller price of the equivalent AVR and speakers.

If you want surround sound, I would probably suggest getting as good an AVR as you can afford, with a half decent set of speakers, then upgrade the speakers bit-by-bit later. I like to listen to music and watch movies too so I did the following:

- Onkyo TXSR308 + 5.1 Onkyo Satellite Package £300
- Onkyo TXSR308 + Wharfedale 9.1 Fronts £100 + Onkyo Centre & Back Satellites with Sub
- Onkyo TXSR308 + Wharfedale 9.1 Fronts + Wharfedale 9.CC Centre £120 + Onkyo Back Satellites with Sub
- Denon AVR1912 £250 + Wharfedale 9.1 Fronts + Wharfedale 9.CC Centre + Onkyo Back Satellites with Sub
- Denon AVR1912 + Wharfedale 9.1 Fronts + Wharfedale 9.CC Centre + Wharfedale Powercube 10 Sub £300 + Wharfedale Onkyo Back Satellites

Each time I have upgraded I have kept and then sold on old components which has taken the sting out of things. My next upgrade will be these beauties in summer:

CM1_Gloss-Black_OFF.jpg

M2 Comp
Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

I'll be using it mainly for movies, but occasionally music too. Initially, I wouldn't like to spend much more than £500, but this will be with a view to buying more/upgrading in the future.

I have researched the amp I posted above and as said, it appears to be a re-badged Onkyo. Sadly, I can't find any reviews on the Teac model, but the Onkyo TX-SR309 which I understand is the same spec, gets good reviews as an entry-level model. Difference is, the Onkyo equivalent demands around £250. I'm thinking of taking a gamble with it, at £100 I don't stand to loose much if I choose to upgrade in the future.

I think I'm going to get some floorstanders to start with. After further research, I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale 10.4 Diamond:

http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=740

What do you think to these?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Have a look on eBay mate, the richersounds outlet have a few cheap onkyo amps on there. They've got the txnr-414 for under 200 quid, which is the one ill eventually be upgrading mine to

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Get down to your local Richer Sounds branch and speak to the staff in there. If you can, get to one with a demo room !

Is this for your front room, bedroom or what ?

My KEFs sound borderline naff in my poxy newbuild dinky front room with "wooden" floor and cardboard walls, but in my last place with large open plan lounge / diner, carpet and proper walls sounded utterly immense.

If you're tight on space and never listen to music, get some dinky satellite speakers and a sub (packages available) but if you've lots of room to breathe go for a full set of proper speakers :approve: