ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Quick Wash'

Titanium 182
Hi all! As some of you may know I am now the VERY proud owner of Lawro's old 182, before he parted with it the car was very well detailed and finished in Swissvax best of show. The car could do with a wash now as it had some motorway miles on the trip home etc. My question is how would I go about 'quick washing' it as I obviously don't need to rewax after just one week.
The plan was to hose off first, then shampoo (wax friendly) and then use a microfibre drying towel so I don't get water marks, but surely after doing this it will look smeared and dull?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also I do have some poorboys quick detailer

Honda & VW
All depends on how long you want to spend on it and also what products/kit you have or are will to buy.
What you have said will be "fine". As is usually the case when it comes to car care you can do as little or as much as you want

BG 182, BMW 320d
You could always use a glaze or sealant of some form after washing it when it has been waxed. Im not really into my detailing but thats what I do when I want to preserve it. I also sometimes once washed, go over it with a quick detailer and micro fibre cloth seems to do the trick but as said I'm not really into detailing that much so could be better ways.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You could always use a glaze or sealant of some form after washing it when it has been waxed. Im not really into my detailing but thats what I do when I want to preserve it. I also sometimes once washed, go over it with a quick detailer and micro fibre cloth seems to do the trick but as said I'm not really into detailing that much so could be better ways.

No. You don't glaze over the top of the wax.

Titanium 182
All depends on how long you want to spend on it and also what products/kit you have or are will to buy.
What you have said will be "fine". As is usually the case when it comes to car care you can do as little or as much as you want

Well I am willing to spend as long as necessary on it in order to get it looking like it's just been fully washed and waxed! I have all the products I should need I think, just need to get some sealant as I hear this is better on silver cars than wax (but won't be using this until I notice the wax starting to dull)
So after I have cleaned the car and then used a microfibre towel to pat dry how do I bring the shine back without removing the wax that Lawro applied last Saturday?

Thanks!

p.s I have no problem with rewaxing the car again it's just I see no point as such a high quality expensive wax has only just been applied!

Titanium 182
I'll take any advise on this topic pal haha, with my last car (panther black) I would wax after EVERY wash! Which is probably quite excessive, something which I really want to stop doing especially if I start using sealant too so need a good quick wash technique!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Get yourself a quick detailing spray and good quality microfibre cloth to give the car a quick wipe down after drying to bring back that just waxed look

BG 182, BMW 320d
Glaze before wax always. It is however fine to put sealant over wax so 50% right ;)

Only done it a few times when the car has already been waxed previously thought it might help. Usually use a glaze before wax anyway but hey haha. Im rusty, yesterday was the first time I have attempted a proper clean in a year....... forgot how annoying it was..... washing, claying, polishing and waxing.......... so boring after a while, hours upon hours of looking at paint.

Clio 172
What you have suggested in the first post is what I do and it works a treat. My cars paint is waxed/sealed, so at the moment I hose the car off, wash with two bucket method, autoglym shampoo and conditioner and then dry with a couple of microfiber towels. If after that the surface of the car is still nice and smooth and shiny I leave it alone! :)

I tend to strip it all back once every 6-8 months to then remove any new swirls and then lock it all in again. My clio has only had one proper wash since I got it in March and it will be getting another full DA and paint correction in September!

Something that will really help the car look its best is plastic treatments and wheel and tyre cleaning and sealing. I hear really good things about "Autofiness revive" for when the plastic starts to go dull and flat, and I use Autoglmy wheel products to get my wheels looking clean. Their tyre treatment is more mat than gloss and I think it looks nicer that way.

I have found chemical guys "quick detail" to be brilliant and bringing out a shine with little to no effort in the past, after washing the car, just running over it with this has really buffed the shine back up for me, and I'm yet to try a drying agent, but have read really good things about chemical guys V7 so I'm tempted to get some to give it a try.

You can easily spend a fortune on cleaning stuff if you were to get right into it...but then its a slippery slope into full on detailing and constant washing!

Jack

Titanium 182
What you have suggested in the first post is what I do and it works a treat. My cars paint is waxed/sealed, so at the moment I hose the car off, wash with two bucket method, autoglym shampoo and conditioner and then dry with a couple of microfiber towels. If after that the surface of the car is still nice and smooth and shiny I leave it alone! :)

I tend to strip it all back once every 6-8 months to then remove any new swirls and then lock it all in again. My clio has only had one proper wash since I got it in March and it will be getting another full DA and paint correction in September!

Something that will really help the car look its best is plastic treatments and wheel and tyre cleaning and sealing. I hear really good things about "Autofiness revive" for when the plastic starts to go dull and flat, and I use Autoglmy wheel products to get my wheels looking clean. Their tyre treatment is more mat than gloss and I think it looks nicer that way.

I have found chemical guys "quick detail" to be brilliant and bringing out a shine with little to no effort in the past, after washing the car, just running over it with this has really buffed the shine back up for me, and I'm yet to try a drying agent, but have read really good things about chemical guys V7 so I'm tempted to get some to give it a try.

You can easily spend a fortune on cleaning stuff if you were to get right into it...but then its a slippery slope into full on detailing and constant washing!

Jack

This is perfect thanks Jack, so if after drying it's looking dull use some quick detailer on it. Will give it a go this weekend then! Next pay day I will be getting a few more detailing products as mine is all geared towards my old black car and other products are running very low now so will look into that AF Revive!

Thanks again :approve:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Get a pre wash cleaner like valetpro citrus pre wash or auto finesse citrus power, they break down the dirt before you wash (spray off the pre wash and dirt prior to washing)

look ok for my auto finesse spirit review on how citrus power works on a car that was waxed a week prior.

Then wash, dry and a quick detailing spray to ensure there are no water marks

Clio 172
This is perfect thanks Jack, so if after drying it's looking dull use some quick detailer on it. Will give it a go this weekend then! Next pay day I will be getting a few more detailing products as mine is all geared towards my old black car and other products are running very low now so will look into that AF Revive!

Thanks again :approve:

Its ok Pal. Yer, Quick Detail is magic stuff. Used it at a few shows after driving to them. Bottled water wash and then a blast of quick detail to bring up the just waxed look! :) Also might be worth considering Knuckles comments below if you are going to be buying a few bits for the future.

Get a pre wash cleaner like valetpro citrus pre wash or auto finesse citrus power, they break down the dirt before you wash (spray off the pre wash and dirt prior to washing)

look ok for my auto finesse spirit review on how citrus power works on a car that was waxed a week prior.

Then wash, dry and a quick detailing spray to ensure there are no water marks

a pre wash will help reduce scratches and fine dirt dulling the coat of wax down as it helps lift it from the surface. Again there are loads out there, but I find Demon Shine Rappid Dirt Shifter to be good value for money. Its around £7 a bottle and can be diluted 50-50. Just sprits it on before you have wet the car and leave it to sit on the worst parts for 5 mins or so. When you jet wash the car it will lift loads of the rubbish off with it making cleaning easier! Just watch it around your headlights, i have noticed its starting to mark mine if its left on too long.

Jack