ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick web design question

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a simple web site for a friend. I am using frame (I know some folk don't like these but they seem to be the simplest solution to what I need).

Basically, I have a web page with a top fram and a bottom frame. The top frame will be used as a header and the bottom frame as a body. However, when I resize the browser window, the dividing boader between top and bottom moves and either creates a huge gap or covers the header depending on if I resize the window to be bigger or smaller. Is there anyway to stop this?

Cheers,
TS

Right...lol.

Bearing in mind I am not a web desinger, how else would you achieve this effect? Basically, all I want is to not have to change every page if I want to amend 1 link in the header.

Cheers,
-TS

Cool, I understand how to do it in php now then. However, how do I do things like edit the width and hieght of the header and footer?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
asp is for kiddies..

Just for info the site Daz linked gives you the include() function, but you should really use include_once(); that way even if you accidently declare it twice in the same page it wont appear twice ;)

Also, include will not generate an error if the file cannot be found/used. which is probably best for a header and footer but for something more important you should use require() and require_once().

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Everytime you use ASP, god kills a kitten. fact.

It's bad, wrong and dirty. It'll make you short sighted and give you hairy palms.

So in short, ASP is bad. Don't use it. PHP r0x0rz.

Rav4
Both ASP and PHP have their advantages and dissadvantages.

When I started, I decided to use PHP as I was using apache, seemed the logical method to follow. When I got my first IT job, ASP was the only language used, so had to learn that, and to be honest, I liked it, sometimes.

ASP.net was much better.

PHP is excellent too.

Really depends on the individual and the job requirements.

But you've done an excellent thing, asking in a forum and getting everyones points of view and suggestions into how to tackle the same problem.

Best of luck,

G.

Cheers for all the help people!

A quick question, can I create and test PHP files on my computer or will need to upload them to a php compatible web server?

Rav4
you can test it on your comp.

Either install apache which is excellent, or install IIS which is microsofts equivelant and enable php on it.

WAMP is an excellent tool, it pre-configures everything for you really* with all the correct modifications etc

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

and it's free.

Either way you can do it.

Sorry, just another quick question. In Dreamweaver, is there anyway to edit the boarders of a table? Basically, I'd like to set it out using tables but i'd like to make parts of the table have no visible boarders, much like you can in MS Word.

Cheers,
TS