ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R.S.250 cup - New car

Z4
After owning the Z4 for the longest I've ever owned a car, and getting myself on the property market I decided it was time for a new car.
I considered absolutely everything. The main criteria was it had to be fun, without being too impractical.

Until recently, I'd completely lost interest in hot hatches. It was either a mk2 FRS or nothing. As far as I was concerned, Renault had dropped the ball, what with the 200T being a bit of a flop etc, somehow the R.S. megane mk3 had completely slipped my radar. I hadn't read anything particularly positive on here, lots of bashing of the stuck on bodykit etc but not much on what the car was really like!

So I read some reviews, and they're rated as being one of the best drivers cars on the market, can't be bad.

After a couple of weeks looking I found this little fella, loved the test drive, so I bought it (first one I'd driven!)

meg3.jpg

megane1.jpg

megane5.jpg

megane7.jpg

meg2.jpg

megane3.jpg

megane4.jpg

megane6.jpg

It's a 250 cup with a nice range of options, and a few tweaks from Ktec (3" downpipe, catback, FMIC, induction kit, remap & ds2500s)

I've owned it a couple of weeks now, and I keep finding myself going out for drives for no real purpose, and deliberately driving home the long way, something I haven't done in ages!
Love it.

Any questions on them give me a shout!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That is absolutely perfect spec!

When i looked for one, every single one had either xenons or recaros and not both! Such a PITA!

Great buy!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I do adore these Meganes. Looks an amazing spec!

I genuinely can't tell the difference between the standard megs and the cups though. Can't you spec climate and all the comfort options on the cups too?

And I'd look at getting that remapped if It's had Ktec work :p

RB197

I genuinely can't tell the difference between the standard megs and the cups though. Can't you spec climate and all the comfort options on the cups too?

And I'd look at getting that remapped if It's had Ktec work [emoji14]
"Cup" badge on B-pillars and/or red brembo brakes is the easiest way to tell.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
"Cup" badge on B-pillars and/or red brembo brakes is the easiest way to tell.

What else differentiates it?

I know 197 cups have black plastic mirrors and side strips, black plastic interior trim, a different steering wheel, plastic dash and different door cards and some options weren't specable from the standard car... But the Meganes look identical and from what I can see, they can be specced the same.

Suzuki Jimny
To be fair i've had my avatar since october last year, and I paid for the photo so mine has no watermark!

Z4
Pretty much exactly what I'd look at next if I have my sensible hat on. Lovely.

That's the dilemma I was going though, but for me, once I'd driven it, it was a no brainer.
From the reviews I'd read, not only is it the best drivers hatch out there, it's just one of the best driving cars full stop. I'd read reviews where owners also own 911s etc, but found this more fun, and very capable.

After owning a z4 for 3 years, it's awesome having rear seats! Especially when they fold down.

Lovely.

Crying out to be lowered slightly though.

I can see what you mean from the photos, but in the metal it's by no means on stilts. I'd worry that fitting coilovers would compromise the handling etc.

That is absolutely perfect spec!

When i looked for one, every single one had either xenons or recaros and not both! Such a PITA!

Great buy!

Thanks mate, apparently it was previously owned my a MD at Renault so he specced it well. Xenons and recaros are the 2 must haves IMO! The front end looks a little dated without them. I believe this has adaptive bi xenons too so they follow the curvature of the road.

And I'd look at getting that remapped if It's had Ktec work :tongueout:

Classic Renault with options all over the place tbh!
The new 275 S can be specced to the same level as the trophy for instance.

Renault are all about the marketing with these, they're released a ridiculous amount of models which haven't mechanically evolved from the 250 at all.
Example - the 250 was the first release, many of these have been RRd at around 260-270bhp out of the box. Soon enough, Renault released the 265 with the same power!

Beauty,
probably the only car that will get me out of the 182

Do it. They're an amazing upgrade from a Clio.

The fun element is retained (which is tricky for modern cars IMO), there's more refinement, and they're just so much more lethal. I got into this not expecting a huge amount of speed, thinking it was all about the handling, but they're much quicker than I'd expected!
On track, in a straight line, I don't think there'd be anything between this and say an E46 M3, (mine does have a bit of extra power though) but on the road due to the nature of turbo power delivery, it's just so useable.

Z4
Lovely looking car mate. What power is it running now then with the mods?

Cheers fella.
Considering the amount of work you'd expect more, but it's running around 295bhp / 300lbs.
From what I hear Ktec remaps aren't the best, so if I feel I need it (which currently, I don't) I'd get it up to RStuning, I'd expect around 320-330bhp with a proper map.

Track 172 Cup
That's a lovely car only thing I'm not a massive fan of is the wheels, other than that its spot on like everyone has said really suits the red.

Z4
I quite fancy one of these along side my 172 next.

I'd highly recommend one.
My one concern was that they don't sound particularly good. With the mods mine has its actually just what I was after though. At normal speeds it's like any other car, but put your toe down and the turbo spool, induction growl, and exhaust crackles remind you you're in something a little bit special. It's no focus Rs, but there's certainly enough noise so it doesn't sound like a sewing machine.

That's a lovely car only thing I'm not a massive fan of is the wheels, other than that its spot on like everyone has said really suits the red.
I'm on the fence with the wheels.
They do look better in real life, but they are fussy, and look a bit Halfords.
The problem is they do have an odd offset making wheel swaps difficult.
I quite like the 275 trophy wheels, I'd like something lightweight ideally as this will be seeing some track action.

RB197
OZ Ultraleggera. They look brilliant on these cars with the right offset, ET48 I think and may even be cheaper than the speedlines on the 275's. You could aways go down the 'cheap set of second wheels with sticky tyres' route.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Alleggerita HLT all the way! But then I am biased ;) they're lighter than ultraleggeras.

DSC_2675.jpg

I'd love a mk3 rs but I already have a mk3 diesel and the mk2 is a track slag with rear seats for family use.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
I had a 250 cup after getting rid of my GT3 due to HMRC wanting some money!
A trip to RS in Leeds, a Forge intercooler and Miltec system later and I had 325 bhp and a proper fun car. Only issue was overheating brakes on track (with RC5s), but that was manageable.
Frankly it was one of the best cars I ever owned, so well chosen.