ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 vs s works

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
[IMGO]http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_450/car_photo_225334_25.jpg[/IMGO]

I need these seats in my 197 cup tbh.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Mini wins because it’s more fun more of the time. You can see the philosophy behind the Clio – utterly focused on its ability to cover ground, purist in its high-revving naturally aspirated engine and beautiful in its functionality. You know that, given the right circumstances, it’s a fantastically talented and fun thing. It’s just a shame that those conditions are a tarmac special stage. In the Mini you can go into a corner at something other than the perfect speed and yet come out the other side without feeling it’s a wasted opportunity.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
So really they are saying the clio is a more focused/track car. I like that!

Seems that everyone who drives the 197 says it feels slow. Is this because its quite a nice ride or something?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cooper S is 18k without many options
R27 can be had for £14kish, hmm

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i dont' think the seats are as good as everyone makes them out to me... The pole postions are leagues above. And i think the treadlines look nicer... I'm Unsure what to buy for mine tbh.

VaVa
Look at the times. The 192 is 0.7 seconds up by 60..... yet 0.8 seconds down by 100! How did Renault managed to make the 197 so gutless?!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What killed it for me is when they tested the 197 against the Cooper S, Corsa VXR, and the Ibiza Cupra, and they all pulled away from it. I don't care if a hot hatch isn't the quickest, but thats ridiculous.

ST
canoworms.jpg

What killed it for me is when they tested the 197 against the Cooper S, Corsa VXR, and the Ibiza Cupra, and they all pulled away from it. I don't care if a hot hatch isn't the quickest, but thats ridiculous.

I find it hard to believe they all "pulled away" along a good stretch of entertaining road. More gutsy out of tighter corners perhaps?

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
0-302.72.60-404.13.90-505.45.3 0-607.66.9 0-709.59.3 0-8011.711.8 0-9014.815.1 0-10018.018.81/4 MILEMINICLIOSeconds15.715.5Miles per hour9193BRAKING 100-04.8sec/328.7ft4.5sec/316.5ftMAX SPEED (claimed)145mph134mph LAP TIMES (WEST CIRCUIT)1:31.601:31.70

How come the r27 can reach a terminal speed on the qaurter at 93 in 15.5 against the minis 91 in 15.7, yet the mini is quicker to 90?!?!

Last edited:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

I find it hard to believe they all "pulled away" along a good stretch of entertaining road. More gutsy out of tighter corners perhaps?

No seriously, it was up and down some twisty mountain roads, and they got away from the Clio - even the Ibiza. They were surprised, and saddended because it was watching the legend of the Trophy taken over by the 197 or something (can't remember the quote now to be honest - I'm sure someone can pop a scan up).

Dan

Aye, they pulled away due to the gradients of the road, on the flat or track there is nowt in it.

I too don't believe the r27 recaros are the be all end all, for starters they are bathed in a material I'd be embarrassed about if it came in a 1.4 tbh.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Regardless of whether they pulled away, I'd still have the 197 out of that bunch heh. Couldn't be seen in public in the Corsa, the Mini is just f**king gay, and the Ibiza is getting on about now and whether it pulled away or not, I still don't think they handle very well. GLF with a remap mind you.

Dan

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I'd still take the clio for the looks and the seats,i wouldnt take it for the piss take 1300 quid paint

Clio 172 Cup
I've got a R27 with the Recao's and they are nice seats, not too sure how durable the clothe will be but I guess a warranty claim (if lucky) or retrim wouldn't be too expensive... BUT they are far to high for me, yes my backside would benefit from a year or three down the gym but even taking that into account they sit way to high for my liking... I desperately need to either get lower subframes (drew a black with Recaro themselves) or look at alternative seats which you can get low profile subframes for (not sure how the lack of air bags in the side if the seat would affect the airbag light on the dash, must be the easy part of the problem surely).

I can see what people report on the percieved performance of the 197/R27, makes a lot of noise but I'm not actually convinced it's moving that fast, you really do need to work the rev's and keep the momentum up.

Great car for me but I'm stuck in limbo at the moment, I've got to the point where the seats have hacked me off so much I'm looking at alternatives - see other posts on cup racer for track day use :)

Suzuki Swift Sport
After driving both, id rather have the 197, in my opinion the latest gen mini lacks the feel of the old one ie the steering feels light and false, plus there is no supercharger whine anymore :( the 197 is a riot! and I like the fact it needs to be revved - makes it more satisfying!

MCS R56
The Mini looks $hit horrid now. I was never a fan but the new one looks w@nk! Sounds like they are good to drive but the Clio for me - no contest. Cheaper too!

I owned the old gen cooper s and had a fair few test drives on the new one.

Heres a few things they dont tell you about the cooper.

1- It will cost you over £20k to get average spec
2- You will have to change all 4 run flat tyres straight away to non runflats -- thats if you want to use the car to its potential without dying.
3- The brakes are not in the same class as the R27
4- The cornering of the R27 is in a different class.
5- The mini is as aerodynamic as a brick - it feels extremely dodgy on motorways over 90mph.

Ive had my r27 for 4 months now and done 3500 miles. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a car more than this. The whole driving experiance is top notch and the build quality is at least on a par with my mini.

I personally take no interest in all these silly straight line, track comparison tests. At the end of the day its not about how quickly an f1 driver could go in the three cars, its about how quickly and safely I am able to drive them -- The r27 is the easiest hot hatch to drive fast on the market at the moment- you have to give it some serious revs but once your in that power band it flies. They also loosen up a hell of a lot after 2000 miles

Plus the fact that the r27 is 14k, including air con, cruise, speed limiter, cup suspension, recaros, tints ---all of these are extras on the standard cooper s - and the works doesnt come with all the extras I would expect it too.

Most of what you are paying for on the works mini you could do yourself for much cheaper- ie- engine mods, seats, induction, exhaust. You are essentially paying £4k for £1k's worth of engine and body mods just to get a warrante on it-- its a rip off imo

Last edited: