ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rain sensing wipers - can i stop them doing it?

'02 MG TF160
As the thread says - i think they're fecking useless.

I'd rather just have them on intermittent and set the speed myself using the rotary selector on the stalk...

Mk2 172ff FYI...

thanks all...

Mk2 Clio dci
put the stalk down 1, and use the little twisty bit with the bars on to adjust how quick they come on and off. if that makes sense?

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
put the stalk down 1, and use the little twisty bit with the bars on to adjust how quick they come on and off. if that makes sense?

that wont work when auto wipers are switched on, its a similar to turning the autolights thing.

i wanna know the answer to this. its in the log book somwhere mate!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If you pull the stalk down to position 1 then thats the autowiper position .Turning the ring on the stalk away from you speeds up the wiping , towards you slows it down . Position 2 is slow intermittent wiping , position 3 is fast intermittent wiping . I only ever use my autowipers , can't see why people have a problem with them tbh .

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
If you pull the stalk down to position 1 then thats the autowiper position .Turning the ring on the stalk away from you speeds up the wiping , towards you slows it down . Position 2 is slow intermittent wiping , position 3 is fast intermittent wiping . I only ever use my autowipers , can't see why people have a problem with them tbh .

no mate. that was the case with my 1.4. in my 172 it doesnt matter where i have the ring in nothing changes.

it takes a screen full of water b4 then start working!

al

ST on the way...

that wont work when auto wipers are switched on, its a similar to turning the autolights thing.

i wanna know the answer to this. its in the log book somwhere mate!

The twisty thing does adjust the sensitivity of the autowipers.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Turning the ring on mine works fine, the only time its a problem is when the screen is dirty.

I remember someone saying if you turn off the auto lights it disables the wipers as well, never tried it though.

BMW M135i
Mine work brilliantly tbh, the only time they have trouble is with a greasy/dirty screen. Don't think turning the auto lights off turns the auto wipers off as well, think there permanent.

Da

Less
Not sure if it would work but try changing the stalk to one from a base model, say Extreme or Authentique? They aren't auto-equipped and it may disable the function.

BMW M135i
Not sure if it would work but try changing the stalk to one from a base model, say Extreme or Authentique? They aren't auto-equipped and it may disable the function.

There not intermittent equiped either so you'll loose that too, in which case you might as well just not use the auto position on the standard stalk.

Da

Less
Very true, although with a different stalk fitted, one knock down would give you a wipe, rather than switching to auto wipers :)

'02 MG TF160
Oh balls, i was hoping there would be an easy fix like the auto lights, but maybe not.

Adjusting the twisty bit does nothing for the sensitivity of the wipers, they never work properly and i have a crystal clear screen.

Arse.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
They're crap and dangerous IMO. Quite why you can't disable this "feature" is beyond me.

Rubbish beyond belief.

I find that I have to manually switch them on and off, as they don't swipe when I need them to, but go flat out when there's no rain on the screen. Absolute pants.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I find that I have to manually switch them on and off, as they don't swipe when I need them to, but go flat out when there's no rain on the screen. Absolute pants.

Ditto. You go past a truck in the pouring rain and the bloody things switch off. You drive in light drizzle and the bloody things go like a train.

They're dangerous, end of.

'02 MG TF160
Exactly my point. The fact that the problem is not widespread is just another example of French inconsitency... Grrr...

There must be a way of disabling them, i must hunt through the manual tonight...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

no mate. that was the case with my 1.4. in my 172 it doesnt matter where i have the ring in nothing changes.

it takes a screen full of water b4 then start working!

Well thats how they worked on my 172 and thats how they work on my 182 and never had a problem ;)

Dirty E91
Exactly my point. The fact that the problem is not widespread is just another example of French inconsitency... Grrr...

There must be a way of disabling them, i must hunt through the manual tonight...

Just move it down 2 notches, that way you miss out the auto option, not really that difficult is it?

Just move it down 2 notches, that way you miss out the auto option, not really that difficult is it?

Sometimes it's not raining hard enough to warrant them being on all the time, hence why they fit cars with intermittant wipe in the first place.

ive not had much trouble granted ive had to overide it when its not quick enough the dial does work in depends on the rain hiting the sensor
:) nice feature though

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't think this is just a renault thing, was following a merc, and his wipers kept going crazy like mine.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I've had this conversation with renault, there is a way of disabling it and getting intermittant wipe....

...believe it or not, you have to replace the stalk. Then you end up with wipers that work.

Or you can do what I do. (Mr Miaga voice...)

Switch On. Switch Off. Switch On. Switch Off.......

Intermittant wipers work. Auto wipers don't.

Ditto. You go past a truck in the pouring rain and the bloody things switch off. You drive in light drizzle and the bloody things go like a train.

They're dangerous, end of.
I agree, bloody useless things. I think most of us are more than capable of figuring out when we need to use our wipers - certainly don't need electronics to do it for me. Same goes for auto lights although not quite as annoying - they were actually OK IMO.

Black Gold 182
Adjusting the twisty bit does nothing for the sensitivity of the wipers, they never work properly and i have a crystal clear screen.

If you adjust the sensitivity of the 'stroke', then push the stalk up to off then back down 1 position, this resets the wipers at the new setting. Took me quite a while to figure it out...

'02 MG TF160

I've had this conversation with renault, there is a way of disabling it and getting intermittant wipe....

...believe it or not, you have to replace the stalk. Then you end up with wipers that work.

Does that really work?

What do you mean by switch on? Switch the ignition on with the wipers in auto position? Or ingition to 2, then wipers on, off, on, off...?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Does that really work?

What do you mean by switch on? Switch the ignition on with the wipers in auto position? Or ingition to 2, then wipers on, off, on, off...?

..lol.. I mean:

Turn On Wipers.
(pause)
Turn Off Wipers.
(pause)
Turn On Wipers.
(pause)

Repeat an-infinitum.

Intermittent Wipe! Ok, so you have to do it yourself....

You cannot disable the auto-wipe feature and have intermittant, which is cack. It's either Off, Auto, On, Fast On.

Owen

ClioSport Admin

If you adjust the sensitivity of the 'stroke', then push the stalk up to off then back down 1 position, this resets the wipers at the new setting. Took me quite a while to figure it out...

I was about to say that adjusting does absolutely nothing to slow/speed mine up!
Thanks Fantom - i will try turning them off then on again after adjusting! :cool: