ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rain sensitive wipers

Mk2 Golf GTI

Does else anyone find these a bit tempremental? Im in coventry and today theres been that really misty rain, you know the type you cant feel but absolutely soaks ya! well the wipers didnt work at all in intermittent mode, to fine for the sensor i guess. Even in heavy rain they dont always work that well but i sprayed a jet was on them and they went almost full speed

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Hi Spirez

I have them to on my Clio and yes they can be a bit tempremental!

Sometimes they just dont work and I need to reset the wiper switch, or on other occaisions they just go mental!

Generally they work really well!

Bob RTE

and the sounds that they make - that click - i end up just putting on the next stage up - evn if it is a bit fast, it stops that clicking from the box of tricks in the car!

The Jinx

One of the most annoying features on the car IMO. Theres nothing worse than when they try to make your life easier, but in fact make it worse.

Mine have never, ever worked properly. Too fast on the dry, nothing at all when its so wet that the water starts running down the screen

The Jinx

BTW, most intermittent wipers click. Its a magnet based system. They click to send the wiper on its way, and click again to stop it.

Yeah, mine are pants, I hate the bloody things! Im sure someone on here posted that there was something you could do to turn off the rain sensitive part and just have them operate as normal wipers. Ment to ask at the renault garage when I picked the 172 up afters its 12000 mile service ( £189, what a bargain.hmmm. ), 10 mins ago but forgot. Doh.

They can be disabled following the same action for the lights.

Ignition on (car not running) move wipers from off to 1st pos and back, repeat. Should hear a beep to indicate they are disabled - do it again to enable.

If this doesnt work try off to 2nd pos twice.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Ive tried all sorts of combinations like that and Ive never managed to "disable" them, the manual only mentions enabling them (they default off when the car is started), does not mention specifically *disabling* them like autolights....

Adrian

The Jinx

Yup. Ive tried as well snoop, and cannot disable them. Im sure it says something about pushing the stalk when the ignition is on but not started. But that just brings up the oil bar light

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

maybe we should ring up renault and demand en-masse that they add a "disable auto wipers and replace with intermittent" feature to the ECU. Maybe they thought about it, but then realised everyone would turn them off because theyre crap (imho!).

Adrian

E36 323i coupe

Its not just on the Clio either. Had a new Megane in France this summer, and they were crap on that too, on the one occasion it rained! Light rain - full speed, heavy rain - medium, and intermittent. Utter crap imo.

The Jinx

Right. Reading from the handbook, one cannot dea-activate the feckers. It is possible to deactivate the auto speed function (which drops the wiper speed depending on your speed).

This is done by pressing the stalk while stationary. It doesnt say whether the ignition should be on, the engine started or what. I tried this when stopped and it just cycles through the odometer, mpg etc. Maybe its press and hold.

Either way, the rain sensor cannot be deactivated. I wish theyd offer a "down-speccing" of cars at purchase. If I was buying new now, Id want a few pennies off and no bloody rain sensor.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

..the problem is youd look at it and go "ooh..automatic wipers, sounds cool" have it fitted and then realise later that its crap, and that lesser specced cars actually have a better system that works! (i.e intermittent)

Adrian

Volvo S60 T5

Dont cut any wires , you may bugger up the UCH (control unit for all ya bits and peices, lights/wipers etc).

Also the UCH will have a fault stored in it to.

A BIG NO NO.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

uchs are very exspensive as well.they also req coding by your dealer.dont cut any wires cos it will turn out pricey!