ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rainsport 3 good idea?

Clio 182
Looking for a wet set of tyres for track days after my 888s got a little swamped last night at Brands... I've come across rainsport 3 as a recommendation but curious if there is anything else??

Camskill have them at £35 a corner can't really complain at that cost can you ?

Any thoughts?

Evo
Any tyres you pay £35 for aren't going to be any good on track, no matter who recommends them.

Wet track days still require track tyres as important factors like sidewall strength and tread squirm are still relevant in the rain and you'll be surprised how hot tyres still get in the wet.

I did a wet day at brands in the 172 with Rainsport 2s last year. Absolute waste of time, tyres were rubbish. Did a wet day at Snetterton with Federal RSRs and they performed very well, I'd look at them

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had Rainsport 1 and 2 on my Clio, they were excellent in the wet (for a budget tyre), but is defo not a intermediate track tyre, its a full wet. They will start to wear a lot if you push them in damp/drying conditions.
Wifes has RS3 on her road car for past year and they are wearing will and give good confidence on wet and damp roads, and are more than acceptable in the dry.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I did a wet day at brands in the 172 with Rainsport 2s last year. Absolute waste of time, tyres were rubbish. Did a wet day at Snetterton with Federal RSRs and they performed very well, I'd look at them

Was there standing water, or just a damp track? I had no issues with the RS2s I had round brands in VERY wet conditions.

Clio 182
Track was wet all eve unfortunately, the usual puddle into McLaren, paddock was ok though.

888s were ok... Wasn't the want for trying but just couldn't push the car through druids and Clearways... It's always a bit nervey when It's spinning up third to forth into paddock staight.

Clio 182
Any one found a source for rainsport 2 ? I know the oval racers use them in bangers but can't seem to find them since rs3 came out :-(

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Maybe that's the difference. On a soaking wet track I found it very easy to keep up and pass anyone on track day rubber running a set of sport contact 3's. The two accidents that day were cars running track day rubber in the wet. Which brand of semi-slick I do not know. Road tyres are very easy to grind away in slower corners where your confidence is likely higher than the tyre will provide. I prefer to back off and find time where the tyres aren't easily ground away. Driving style and car spec has a lot to do with tyre choice. I ran a set of dedicated track day wet tyres once and they were very good but it all gets very expensive.

I won't go back to track day tyres. Even with the federals matching road tyre prices. Road tyres break away easier so I can play with the car and not being doing that extra speed that gets you into trouble when your learning. My car is standard however so that makes a big difference. People moan about the understeer but I find the challenge is trying to figure a way to cancel it out.

At that price give them a go but if you usually run your track tyres to destruction on the outside edges and use a lot if lock and throttle while cornering don't expect your road tyres to last very long.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Any tyres you pay £35 for aren't going to be any good on track, no matter who recommends them.

Wet track days still require track tyres as important factors like sidewall strength and tread squirm are still relevant in the rain and you'll be surprised how hot tyres still get in the wet.

Umm.. I've got a pair of these but they were new and didn't feel I wanted to risk a red flag trying to scrub them in lol!
£35 a tyre isn't the issue if the tyre is any good, the other options seem to be £100 but are rain race tyres ... Is it worth it ??

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I don't doubt there are better wet or inter tyres to go fast on track with. But on a budget, they work well.
Here's the level of grip I had (or didn't have) at a very wet brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I ran rainexperts on my diesel estate at a track day I did before I had the Clio. Even they lastest reasonably well if your not out to make a point.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't doubt there are better wet or inter tyres to go fast on track with. But on a budget, they work well.

Love the commentary subtitles !

I have used the RS3 on 2 trackdays.

Very soft sidewalls but not a bad thing really.. Not exactly going to be setting world record lap times in the wet.

In the wet (I mean wet wet..) .. they're more than confidence inspiring. Cadwell was fine for me.. I came home alive with the car in one piece !

In the damp / drying tarmac at Snetterton the day before, they were 'OK' but got warm and were far too soft really. If it'd rained again they would have been fine - obviously.

On the road they're more than OK in the dry and wet .. soft sidewalls are a bit squidgy but you shouldn't be driving at ten 10ths on the road anyway ;)

As a back up set for wet days, at the ~£35 a corner they are - I'd say they're more than enough value for money and much better than the similarly priced T1Rs I've used in the wet on track too.

Renault Clio 172 cup
As a wet tyre have you thought of the Toyo R1R's , these are excellent in the wet , very good in the dry ( although can overheat if you do long sessions ), nice stiff sidewalls, similar compound to 888's , still come with 7mm tread new and if you shop around ( mytyres.co.uk or tyretraders ) can be had at a good price in 15 inch.

I was looking to run Goodyear eagle assymetric 2s but they don't come in 195/50 15 it seems. The options seem to be continentals at 50 odd quid, or the rainsprts. I ran these on a nova on the road for years and loved them, but will they work on track without falling apart?

I don't mind them not being the last word in grip as long as they are predictable and don't melt and break up.

Cheers

Track 172 Cup

I'm ITCHING too get on track now lol got Oulton on the 3rd of Feb booked up to now possibly gonna do the 27th of Jan too.