ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ran out of petrol

Focus ST

Partially because of a dodgy fuel gauge, partially because Im an idiot and partially because a mate "borrowed" my car, I ran out of petrol before I could get to a filling station a couple of weeks ago.

Ever since, I get the feeling that my car is a little sluggish, it runs fine but it doesnt seem to pull as well as it did before at higher revs. Its really annoying me and Im due to go to the pod for the first time next monday so need my car fighting fit! Any suggestions?

Focus ST

Did cross my mind, but didnt want to buy a new one for nothing. Thought the whole "dregs in the bottom of the tank" thing might just be a myth?! Anyone else done the same?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I had problems with my old Saxo ever since it ran out of petrol would feel a bit sluggish and cut out at high revs or when fuel was low. Had to get new fuel pump sorted it right out. All the sh*t in the bottom of your tank can block up your injectors as well, might need sorting.

Focus ST

Well Ill give the fuel filter a try then, hopefully thatll sort it. Easy job for a relative novice? Also if its a blocked injector, how can this be sorted? A mate of mine ran his 19 16v dry and put some additive in with his petrol to try and sort it. What could this have been?

additive wont work

have u a haynes manual? as simple tasks like filter changes are very well detailed

get the filter done first, come back if theres still a prob.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Did the same in my valver when the ecotek was switched off and was geeting less miles out of a tank. Ran out 1 mile away from the nearest PS.

Took two petrol cans and a hell of a lot of turning over to get started again. Car felt really crap to start with. Changed fuel filter and also put in some fuel system cleaner. Both worked.

Focus ST

Right, changed the fuel filter and put some injector cleaning additive in with a full tank of optimax for good measure. Seems to be running well enough (not totally convinced its sorted yet!), although I havent had a chance to test it properly yet. I guess the proof of the pudding will be bank holiday monday at the pod! See some of you there no doubt!